This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stiff Legged Windmill doubld form check

Started by Bret Kennedy, December 7, 2014 · 11 Replies · 245 Views

Bret Kennedy

HI all. I recently (just yesterday) retaped my still legged windmill, and thought that they looked funny. I went back to the video, which I still fin very hard to see in regards to alignment of the feet. I also went back to when I first started GB a while ago (nearly a year) and found my stiff legged windmill there too. I got a form check on that when I did it with some great points.

 

My current thoughts are, the red shirt is yesterdays effort. I am up to week 8 for foundation. 

 

I feel that my hamstrings have lengthened as I notice that my knees are a lot straighter in the red video, which is the most recent. The points I find I may be doing incorrectly.

 

1) I am leaning more to the side, or at least that is what it looks like.. It feels like I am going forwards. 

2) in the video, the torsion of the torso I feel is the same as what I am but they do look different from what I can see

3) my lower back does round a bit, which is an issue I am constantly trying to fix.

4) my legs are almost in line with each other, feet at 90 Deg to each other and my arm movement seems to be a lot less restricted now, 

 

so I would love some comments on the new (red shirt) and if you feel that i am doing it correctly, or a few points that I should be looking further at.

 

"please don't just say look at the video" I have been, and with limited info like 'lock out the legs' I feel that there isn't enough detail to fully get this movement right without the input of the people who have 'done it correctly'

 

Cheers ladies and gents.

 

bret

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Z0R0-Fo_o

Bret Kennedy

HI Alan, i got a message with your reply, but it hasn't come up on the forum :( 

 

I think you might have misread the message. the red shirt is the most recent, ie: I shot it yesterday, the no shirt was shot last year.

 

But if I understand your reply, you are saying that the form in the no shirt video is better than that of the more recent red shirt video?

 

Bret

LateStarter@46

The new (red) version is definitely better! Nice controlled form and straight legs.

Jennifer

In the older video you are rounding your back and bending the knee in order to achieve depth.   It seems in the newer video you are still rounding your back but are doing better about keeping the legs locked (I can't really tell, it seems so).   So it does look like you are making progress.     As I understand, the element is to be done by hinging only at the hip while keeping torso straight and the legs locked.     

Bret Kennedy

ah thanks so much for that. I do feel more length in my hamstrings in this particular movement.

 

One thing I do just want to double check, in the second part of the red movement, ie the other side, it looks like I am bending down to the side, more than moving forward, but this also might just be me over analysing

 

thoughts?

KibboKift

To my eyes your form has definitely improved. Particularly on those reps where you're holding the weight in your left hand; in the previous vid the later reps were 'all over the shop' to put it bluntly. Everything is a lot more controlled now. I would also add the following, based on a comparison between your form and the course video:

- Your foot placement and lean are fine

- Make sure you keep your legs locked straight. Your non-working leg should remain vertical - a cue for this is to "push the hip out to the side"

- Focus on reaching back between your legs as far as possible. This is the one thing you're actually doing better in your earlier video. IME this makes your hip flexors work harder, pulling yourself down into the stretch.

- Finally, bear in mind that the primary purpose of this exercise is to stretch the inner hamstrings. Be conscious of this and tweak your form to achieve the best stretch.

Ryan Reynolds

Your holding the weight in the wrong hand.  The front leg and the weighted arm are supposed to be on the same side of the body according to the course video.

 

In the new initial assessment video Kira does this wrong as well.  It was commented in other threads that the original course video is the correct form to use.

Bret Kennedy

The weight is not in the wrong hand Ryan. If you look at the video, it is taken from a side on view, his left leg is forward, weight is in the opposite hand. i took my video front on.

 

I am pretty sure that coach wouldn't have allowed the assessment video to go up on the website if it was incorrect.

 

but what I did see when I went back over this with both videos, is the training video, the guys back is rounded, and kira' back is quite straight and level. is this just an account for extra flexibility and something that we strive for?

 

the guys hand does progress back through his legs, but the torso itself is only just under perpendicular

Ryan Reynolds

well then I guess I'm the one doing these wrong... its really hard to tell which is the "front foot" in the course video since we don't see him setup or switch hands.  I had always assumed that he would be facing the camera and then step back and turn out the leg not under the weight. 

Bret Kennedy

post a video so we can double check.

 

the camera position is misleading, the way i looked at it was which way was he moving, and from that movement which hand was the dumbell in. To me, he is moving over his left leg, and his right hand is holding the dumbell.

 

but post a video, you may be doing it right, but explaining it in reverse :)

Ryan Reynolds

You know I think your right.  I've always considered the leg under the weight to be the "front" and when I do the twist I'm reaching toward  the "back leg" or unweighted  leg.  Ok panic attack over. 

 

So really I wouldn't even half to reposition my feet just switch which leg I'm reaching toward.

Bret Kennedy

yeah sweet, so you are doing it right :P