This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting out again:

Started by Riz Q, December 7, 2014 · 6 Replies · 442 Views

Riz Q

Hi All,

 

I joined a year ago and I just couldn't make it work with business/home. I simply gave up. However, I now have 2hrs of gym time available and no more airports + my kid sleeps better which means I sleep better. A few concerns and questions please:

 

I start training tomorrow and have committed till to finish PE1 by March.

 

1) FL/PE1 - I am confident that I can quite easily perform to week 5 tomorrow. So, what do I do? Most of the other PE1's I will have to start week 1 again, but in the FL exercise I am easily on week 5-6. Surely I shouldn't just do week 1 for week 1's sake?

 

2) HBP/PE1 - I can quite easily get to week 11 here, and also quite easily start PE2 as I'm generally good at press ups. Shall I simply start PE2?

 

3) All other exercises I am definitely Week 1, Day 1!, PE1

 

4) MN/PE1/IM - I recall having a terrible grinding shoulder last time I did this for mobility. As I turned I recall clenching my teeth at the right shoulder clunking into its turn. I'm nervous about it for this week.

 

5) SLS/PE1 - Last year I recall having to see my chiro. Not sure what I did wrong but he said I shifted my ribs a little. Any advice on this will be great. I am just over 6'2 and 205 lbs.

 

6) Probably a non-issue. But I will not be using the work out aids provided. Instead, I will note my performance after each set and simply match it up to where I am on the program.

 

7) Can I warm up on cardio?

 

8) I am sure I will be done within 45mins. So, that leaves me some spare time. Can I punch some pads? or maybe do some more functional movements like you see in those "Paleo Fitness" books. For example, frog hops, burpees, skipping, general yoga stretches, deep squat holds, bar hanging (to name a few) 

 

 

And that's about it. Thank you

 

RQ

old dude_1969

Good luck. Welcome back!

Sensei JP

Hi, welcome (back!)

 

As a general rule, it's perfectly fine for different exercises to be on different levels.  So you could be on Pe1, Week 1 on one thing and Pe6, Week 9 on another.  You just need to make sure the deload weeks line up.  You cannot be on Week 3 of one element and Week 9 of another, because then the deload weeks (4, 8 or 12) don't sync.

 

As another general rule, you can do just about anything when you are done your workout.  I'm a martial artist, so if I have extra time or energy I will practice that after my workouts.  Others play around with whatever skills they have.  Again, just make sure you aren't pushing yourself too far.  This should be considered play time, at a lesser intensity level than the workout you just did.

 

Remember to have fun, and best of luck.

Mark Collins

When you do all 7 exercises in one session you will not want to do anything else. If you have energy for other things you need to be pushing harder with Foundation.

Riz Q

Thank you all.

 

Mark - The program doesn't state to do 7 in one session? Monday = FL, sPL, HBP, RC ........ Tuesday = MN, SL, SLS. Then Thursday & Friday repeat.

 

You see, I have about 21% body fat (So I'm at about 207lbs and 6'2). Should I not be getting some weights/cardio in? If so, please let me know whether its's before or after the session. I'm happy buying another series off here and get working on that? But my performance for PE1 Foundation is not even funny right now.

 

On PE1-MN-iM - I'm really struggling here guys. My right shoulder (although not painful) sounds terrible on the crunching and grinding down. When I really focus I can control the movement with minimum grind. I watched a video where coach says "don't train through pain" - So what do I do?

 

 

Thanks

RQ

Keegan

Mark is talking about a different training split option called "F7" wherein you do train all 7 elements in the same workout; the specifics are covered in the Handstand course under how to integrate Foundation and Handstand courses. If you are not doing this split, then don't worry about it.

Regarding cardio/additional resistance training to lose body fat, you should perform this either (in no particular order of value, your schedule, recovery abilities, and personal preference can inform you on which works best for you):

1) On days when you are off from Foundation

2) On the same days as your Foundation work but performed later in the day (separate workout)

3) Immediately after you finish your Foundation work

Regarding MN/PE1>iM, I would post a video of you performing them, there may be something that you are doing incorrectly that we may be able to help you with. Also, how much weight are you using with these?

Riz Q

Hi Keegan

 

Thank you for your response. Apologies for the delay.

 

The shoulder is still bad. I've had to play about with the video for a while so let me know if the quality is too bad i'll try again.

 

As you can see, my mobility is very restricted but I am trying. Progress has been phenomenal and I can now do a hand full of PE1 Sls's too. This is a big thing for me given that I couldn't even do one when I started again.

 

Manna_PE1_IM - This is my only big concern at this stage. Right shoulder, makes me nervous on the down side. Apologies again for the quality - I can try improve it a little.

Manna_PE1_IM.wmv