This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder Shrugs & Lats' Activation

Started by HB_Ron, December 1, 2014 · 6 Replies · 277 Views

HB_Ron

1.  sPL/PE1 - To avoid rounding the middle back then it's necessary to depress the scapula and activate/feel the lats, right? So does it mean you have to depress the scapula at every rep of sPL/PE1?

 

2. sPL/PE1- Does it matter if the hands are faced forward or sideways? In the demonstration video it's sideways and I've been wondering about that for quite some time now.

 

3. In Planche( Shoulder shrugs, planche leans, holds , etc..) you always want to feel the lats working right? If you don't feel them, then something must be performed incorrectly?

 

 

Rayne-William

1.  For sPL/PE1 full scapula protraction and retraction is the primary focus. Strong scapula depression is needed for planche in general. It is better to begin developing the needed strength now, than later.

 

2. Hand position is optional.

 

3. Generally speaking your lats and pectoral minor are the "Primary movers" for scapula depression. You will feel your lats working if you flex them. You can depress your scapula and barely know your lats are doing anything.

TANSTAAFL

Ditto Rayne.

 

Also, as per point 2, if you turn your hands it makes it easier to 'hug the floor' throughout the movement. ASAIK this is not mandatory at this early stage for mastery, but necessary later on so you can include it if you wish. I would definitely start playing with it when you move on to the next PE and have PE1 in your WU.

emilianop
Rayne-William said:

3. Generally speaking your lats and pectoral minor are the "Primary movers" for scapula depression. You will feel your lats working if you flex them. You can depress your scapula and barely know your lats are doing anything.

I always thought lats are just secondary devices for depression, not being even attached to any part of the scapula... so I did the poor man's test and depressed as strong as I can while checking with the other hand what happens to the lat.

It does contract. Can anyone explain its *exact* function? Is it just stabilizing and pressing the scaps against the ribcage while Pectoralis Minor and Lower Trap actually do the job?

Keegan

The lats extend and adduct the shoulder joint as do the Teres Major, when you attempt to depress the scapulae you are most likely also extending and/or adducting the shoulder joint as well, which would explain why they are contracting even though technically they are not primary scapular depressors.

The primary scapular depressors are the lower traps and pec minor.

Spphysio

This will make things clear:

 

http://www.oandplibrary.org/popup.asp?frmItemId=53C20962-2612-419B-BD9A-88FE83DFABB4&frmType=image&frmId=17

 

I personally totally recommend squeezing your lats from sPL/PE1 even though you won't be able to get that much lat contraction due to the level of protraction you will be. However once you learn to do it correctly you will start to truly feel your serratus working and firing correctly and what are the feelings you should get when training for the planche. It makes your scapula feel much more stable as a base for strength transfer.

 

I personally suggest to first get full protraction and then flex your lats while maintaining as much protraction as possible do not try to do both together or the other way around. I think only well trained gymnasts could that. But start practicing for now. You will get much better progress later.

Rayne-William
emilianop said:

I always thought lats are just secondary devices for depression, not being even attached to any part of the scapula... so I did the poor man's test and depressed as strong as I can while checking with the other hand what happens to the lat.

It does contract. Can anyone explain its *exact* function? Is it just stabilizing and pressing the scaps against the ribcage while Pectoralis Minor and Lower Trap actually do the job?

The lats are for stabilization. I should have done a little bit more research on exrx.net  before stating the lats where one of the primary movers.

 

The Latissimus Dorsi (EXRX.net) Under the "Movement" section the Latissimus Dorsi are credited for assisting the scapula with depression, downward rotation, and adduction.