https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-zjZ3d6J7nrMTJDVzg1Y0dackU/view?usp=sharing
I know my hips are too low, especially on the first rep and I really need to work on my PPT. Otherwise, how does it look?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Richard Gould, December 1, 2014 · 5 Replies · 173 Views
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-zjZ3d6J7nrMTJDVzg1Y0dackU/view?usp=sharing
I know my hips are too low, especially on the first rep and I really need to work on my PPT. Otherwise, how does it look?
You said it all, you need to fix your body position. Once you fix that focus on moving straight up and down, not forwards and backwards.
Richard Gould said:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-zjZ3d6J7nrMTJDVzg1Y0dackU/view?usp=sharing
I know my hips are too low, especially on the first rep and I really need to work on my PPT. Otherwise, how does it look?
It really needs a lot of work Richard. Like you said, your PPT is off, and a lot of your movement comes from spinal flexion-extension as well as hinging at the hips.
I think that the first thing you should look at is your starting position. Pause the video at 11 seconds, then compare this to the athlete in the course material. It's not only PPT that you're lacking; your entire spine is arched and you have no scapular protraction or depression.
Where are you in the sPL series? It may be worthwhile showing us your sPL/PE5 to make sure your form is ok, as this should be the starting position for PPPs. Finally, it may be worthwhile showing us a set of push-ups from HBP/PE2 to make sure you're not making similar mistakes there.
I hope I didn't take the wind out of your sails, I'm working on the same element so I feel your pain ![]()
I was afraid that might be the case
I don't usually do my workout in a spot where I have a video camera handy, so haven't really gotten in the habit of checking form. I can see I will need to change that.
I'm still on sPL/PE3, so haven't gotten to the PLLs yet.
I have quite a pronounced APT and my thoracic spine is rather flat and can extend quite easily, but has very limited flexion. Other than jefferson curls (which are a permanent part of my warm up, I'm up to 40kg), is there anything else I should be doing regularly to help with this?
Here's a couple of videos of earlier movements. Do these look reasonable?
Scap shrugs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-zjZ3d6J7nreXJDMHZMWGZvRFk/view?usp=sharing
My 2 cents -- do your best to keep PPT and a straight spine, but don't let that hold you back from progressing. Those specifics are dealt with in the FL sequence, so concentrate on them there. At this point in HBP progressions, the main focus is on arm, chest, and scapular strength in preparation for dips. Of course, it's a Hollow Back Press, so the hollow can't be ignored forever ![]()
The regular push ups look much better by comparison. It looks like you have some problems with your pelvic tilt, but I think primarily you just don't know how to lean correctly.
It looks to me like you're jumping straight into the forward lean position. Try starting in the push up position, then gradually slide your pointed feet forwards to increase the lean. Only lean as much as you can without sagging at the hips. You should think more about pushing your hips up from your core (without exaggerating or piking) as opposed to pushing them forwards. Your body will instinctively want to pike or sag at the hips to reduce the load on your shoulders, avoid this and only lean as much as you can handle.
Also, try focusing on a point on the floor and keep your head directly above it while you push up and down to avoid sliding back and forth.
For your pelvic tilt problem you will want to try stretching out your quads and hips flexors.
Spend some time here, this one is important.