This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation scheduling around karate; help required.

Started by Salivanth, November 29, 2014 · 4 Replies · 139 Views

Salivanth

I've decided to try out 2xF7 and 2xH1 for a few months, but I'm having trouble deciding how I should schedule it. Here's my reasoning so far:

- I have karate on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and am busy Fridays. I'd like to keep the karate, as it's fun and it acts as a cardio workout. It's not too grueling, there's not much calisthenics and such involved.

 

- I figure it's probably best to have 3 full days of rest, so I'm thinking of combining karate days with handstand days, since handstand work isn't too physically taxing.

- That gives me two reasonable options for Foundation scheduling; Wednesday/Saturday (Or Wed/Sun) or Saturday/Monday.

Wednesday is sandwiched right between karate + handstand days, but Saturday/Monday only gives me 2 days of recovery between some of the workouts instead of three minimum.

What would you guys recommend? Which is worse; putting my F7 workouts closer together, or having an F7 workout sandwiched between two other working days? (not F7-level grueling, but not effortless either) In addition, am I right in my thinking that karate and handstand work would be good to have on the same day, so I can have three days of total rest apart from supplemental mobility work?

 

Alexander Egebak

How many workouts do you currently have? Just to find an idea about your recovery ability. Also, H1 as a warmup to karate would work well. Or having one in the morning and one in the evening

Salivanth

I was on 4x Foundation with a 2-day split and 2x H1, but I was being lazy and skipping workouts sometimes, so it's hard to say what my limit is, as I wasn't doing 6 workouts a week consistently at all. (Another reason I want to consolidate them; it's easier for me to work out twice instead of four times, even if each workout comprises two. The hardest part is just starting.) I did try 3x F7, 3x H1 about 3 months ago and gave up after about a week when it turned out to be too much and my quality was suffering, so I know 3x F7 is very likely too much for me at this point.

I do karate in the evenings, so I figured I'd do H1 work before lunch.

Joshua Slocum

I'd go with F7 on Weds/Sat. Rest time between workouts is important and two days (sat/mon) probably won't be enough if 3xF7 was too much for you.

HS and Karate on the same day should be fine. Also, HS and Karate probably won't affect your Foundation recovery too much, unless your Karate class contains a lot of calisthenics.

Salivanth
Joshua Slocum said:

I'd go with F7 on Weds/Sat. Rest time between workouts is important and two days (sat/mon) probably won't be enough if 3xF7 was too much for you.

HS and Karate on the same day should be fine. Also, HS and Karate probably won't affect your Foundation recovery too much, unless your Karate class contains a lot of calisthenics.

It doesn't. Thanks, I'll go with that.