This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

After over a YEAR of struggling and sweating

Started by kimura, November 27, 2014 · 21 Replies · 1,434 Views

kimura

And maybe even crying a little, I mastered hinge rows today!!! Happy thanksgiving to me!

I think the big change for me was stopping the sets when my form or tempo broke, as opposed to struggling through to get the reps no matter what. When I started training smarter, my gains increased tremendously. Another testament to the GB philosophy. Train smarter, focus on form, be PATIENT, and the progress will come!

Mastering exercises always feels fantastic, but mastering one after an entire year .... Indescribable!

Oz

Alan Tseng

Congrats! I haven't made a single progress on hinge rows for 9 months now

kimura

Have you tried different methods? I always shot for 5 x 15, and stopped when I couldn't continue the set. That seemed to work best for me

Alan Tseng

You mean 5x15r every week besides deload?

kimura

That's what I would shoot for. So a workout would look like this:

15, 15, 15, 8, 6

And then progressively

15, 15, 15, 10, 9

15, 15, 15, 15, 10

You get the idea

Coach Sommer
kimura said:

And maybe even crying a little, I mastered hinge rows today!!! Happy thanksgiving to me!

I think the big change for me was stopping the sets when my form or tempo broke, as opposed to struggling through to get the reps no matter what. When I started training smarter, my gains increased tremendously. Another testament to the GB philosophy. Train smarter, focus on form, be PATIENT, and the progress will come!

Mastering exercises always feels fantastic, but mastering one after an entire year .... Indescribable!

Oz

Congratulations, Oz! Very well done.

It's an indescribably sweet feeling when you have truly 'earned' such a triumph. And now knowing that you have such strength inside will begin to change the way you look at the rest of life's challenges as well.

Welcome to the club.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

kimura

Thank you Coach!! It is indescribable! GB has transformed my philosophy on training and it has certainly bled over into all aspects of my life, and for that I am especially thankful!

Stefano Baral

Coach, could please you tell us something more 'on the reasons and the purposes of this exercise?

Coach Sommer
Stefano Baral said:

Coach, could please you tell us something more 'on the reasons and the purposes of this exercise?

To strengthen the grip, to strengthen the biceps, to strengthen external rotation in the shoulder.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Stefano Baral

Thanks for the response.

~Atticus
kimura said:

And maybe even crying a little, I mastered hinge rows today!!! Happy thanksgiving to me!

I think the big change for me was stopping the sets when my form or tempo broke, as opposed to struggling through to get the reps no matter what. When I started training smarter, my gains increased tremendously. Another testament to the GB philosophy. Train smarter, focus on form, be PATIENT, and the progress will come!

Mastering exercises always feels fantastic, but mastering one after an entire year .... Indescribable!

Oz

 

Congrats. I'm still working my way up to mastery on this one, but the progress is now salient.  11 months and ticking for me.

Salivanth

Your >12 month ordeal makes me feel much better about my own lack of progress in this area. Let us know how you go on RC/PE2!

Jennifer
And maybe even crying a little, I mastered hinge rows today!!! Happy thanksgiving to me!

 

Yeeeeessss!!!   Congrats! 

BenHack

I am well and truly stuck on this one so a huge congratulations from me!!!!!

kimura

Thanks everyone!! There were times when I didn't see myself ever passing it, so I hope my little success story inspires someone else that doesn't see how they'll ever pass this one.

~Atticus
kimura said:

And maybe even crying a little, I mastered hinge rows today!!! Happy thanksgiving to me!

I think the big change for me was stopping the sets when my form or tempo broke, as opposed to struggling through to get the reps no matter what. When I started training smarter, my gains increased tremendously. Another testament to the GB philosophy. Train smarter, focus on form, be PATIENT, and the progress will come!

Mastering exercises always feels fantastic, but mastering one after an entire year .... Indescribable!

Oz

Oz,

 

I'm soon joining the club too. I guess I've been nominated, and I'm now awaiting confirmation.

 

Today, I completed 5x15r of hinge rows. Yee haw!

 

It wasn't even the plan: I wanted to do 3x15r, 1x12r, and 1x10r. That was the plan. But on the fourth set, I surprised myself by doing 15 reps clean. And I decided to go for 15 reps on the fifth set and I made it.

 

So I'm going to take the next 2 weeks to really master hinge rows, and then I'll be moving on up, as the saying goes.

Hanlim Lee

Congratulations! 

 

I thought I am the only one who is struggling with hinge row so long. 

(I started GB Starter Pack on the middle of  August, 2014, and I am doing 2nd microcycle(week 9 -12).)

 

your success after a year of dedication convinces me that I can do too. 

 

 

 

Could you explain a few more things in detail? 

 

#1. did you do any supplement grip exercise to make it strong? 

 

RC/PE1>iM one arm upright lat lean, and hinge row,  both require strong grip through the movement.

 

so I don't feel much recovered. but mobility is the only rest time between the sets right?

 

mobility makes it harder to complete the hinge row. 

 

Just sticking to the hinge row, without any supplement, makes your grip strong enough to master it? 

 

 

 

 

#2. could you describe WHY stopping at failing points give you better progress than sticking to finishing the sets in bad form? 

 

Even when I got tired and couldn't complete the reps without stopping and resting, I never let go of my grip. 

 

I rest still holding the grip and do the reps in awful form to fill the full reps.

 

I thought that pushes me to the extreme and helps me draw my potential. 

 

stopping gives better recovery? or what? 

 

 

#3. you never feel anxious or nervous for your progression was too slow?

 

I was considering passing to the next level and doing the RC/PE1 and RC/PE2 on the same day, 

 

because my progression was awfully slow.

 

I heard it took more or less than two years to master the whole foundation series for average people.

 

but spending a year to master just RC/PE1, not the whole foundation 1 looks terribly slow. lol

~Atticus
Hanlim Lee said:

Congratulations! 

 

I thought I am the only one who is struggling with hinge row so long. 

(I started GB Starter Pack on the middle of  August, 2014, and I am doing 2nd microcycle(week 9 -12).)

 

your success after a year of dedication convinces me that I can do too. 

 

 

 

To answer your questions: hinge rows are a deceptively difficult exercise if you start Foundation without having strong biceps muscles.

 

The exercise helps to develop your brachioradialis mucsles and also helps with your external scapula rotation.

 

I would say, rather than fretting about "how long" the exercise will take to master, focus on doing it right, accept where you are strength-wise and just focus on developing the necessary strength and endurance.

 

It may take a long time, and then again it may not. It all depends on how hard you work, how regular you train, etc.

sean

Thanks Coach, I just got my answer as to why, when I started adding some hanging work, my hinge rows went up.....grip was (is) my weak link. Strange since I can't say thats how it felt when I burnt out on a set. I noticed too that I breezed thru my first two sets as a result of supplementary hanging work done in the weeks prior. That being said I'm still working on it as well, but this thread only confirms why I should stick with it....I'm improving on my weak links for proper foundation. Thanks for the input gang....

kimura
Hanlim Lee said:

Congratulations! 

 

I thought I am the only one who is struggling with hinge row so long. 

(I started GB Starter Pack on the middle of  August, 2014, and I am doing 2nd microcycle(week 9 -12).)

 

your success after a year of dedication convinces me that I can do too. 

 

 

 

Could you explain a few more things in detail? 

 

#1. did you do any supplement grip exercise to make it strong? 

 

RC/PE1>iM one arm upright lat lean, and hinge row,  both require strong grip through the movement.

 

so I don't feel much recovered. but mobility is the only rest time between the sets right?

 

mobility makes it harder to complete the hinge row. 

 

Just sticking to the hinge row, without any supplement, makes your grip strong enough to master it? 

 

Thanks! I didn't do any supplemental grip exercise. Mobility is the only rest time between sets, yes. I just stuck to the hinge rows, but I use chalk to help my grip. I also do BJJ, and this exercise improved my grip a lot in BJJ. My grip definitely got a lot stronger throughout this process.

 

 

 

 

#2. could you describe WHY stopping at failing points give you better progress than sticking to finishing the sets in bad form? 

 

Even when I got tired and couldn't complete the reps without stopping and resting, I never let go of my grip. 

 

I rest still holding the grip and do the reps in awful form to fill the full reps.

 

I thought that pushes me to the extreme and helps me draw my potential. 

 

stopping gives better recovery? or what? 

 

I can't really tell you why it worked. I heard Coach say in the seminar to stop a set when you start to fail, and I listened to it. And it worked, which is awesome. So now I have that experience to work from too.

 

 

#3. you never feel anxious or nervous for your progression was too slow?

 

I was considering passing to the next level and doing the RC/PE1 and RC/PE2 on the same day, 

 

because my progression was awfully slow.

 

I heard it took more or less than two years to master the whole foundation series for average people.

 

but spending a year to master just RC/PE1, not the whole foundation 1 looks terribly slow. lol

 

I definitely wasn't happy about it, but I know that it will pay off in the long run. There are certain sticking points that come along, but it doesn't mean that every exercise will take that long. I master many within my first few workouts.

kimura
~Atticus said:

To answer your questions: hinge rows are a deceptively difficult exercise if you start Foundation without having strong biceps muscles.

 

The exercise helps to develop your brachioradialis mucsles and also helps with your external scapula rotation.

 

I would say, rather than fretting about "how long" the exercise will take to master, focus on doing it right, accept where you are strength-wise and just focus on developing the necessary strength and endurance.

 

It may take a long time, and then again it may not. It all depends on how hard you work, how regular you train, etc.

 

 

Yes I definitely was coming in with weak biceps and brachioradialis. Both my biceps and brachioradialis grew considerably throughout this process.

Joshua Slocum
~Atticus said:

I would say, rather than fretting about "how long" the exercise will take to master, focus on doing it right, accept where you are strength-wise and just focus on developing the necessary strength and endurance.

Another way to think about this, rather than *how long* it will take to master, is instead *how much strength you have to gain* from persevering and mastering the exercise.