This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Follow the template

Started by Jeremy Huston, November 25, 2014 · 8 Replies · 511 Views

Jeremy Huston

Last week I was on the 5x6r of HS/PE8.  I was trying to get my reps in before my wife's yoga class started, so I decided to do all 30 reps in a single set.  I did it no problem.  It was fun, so I decided to do another set.  Well the class didn't start for a few more minutes, so I banged out a total of 5 sets of 30r.  Great accomplishment....but I couldn't believe how sore my triceps were for the next 2 days.

 

I frequently remind others on the forums not to advance too fast.  But sometimes it's hard to heed my own advice.  I'm thankful I didn't injure myself.  Hopefully I'll learn this time :)

Jennifer

So did you master it?   

Keilani Gutierrez

didn't sound like you were in any danger to me. :P were you able to keep up with the iM?

Jeremy Huston

Nope -- no mastery.  I know my form wasn't perfect on the PE, and ROM is lacking on the IM.

Coach Sommer

Excellent post.  Just because you can do it, doesn't always mean you should do it.  ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mats Trane
Coach Sommer said:

Excellent post.  Just because you can do it, doesn't always mean you should do it.  ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This is so true! I did all sorts of stuff above the rings before Foundations came out that resulted in injury. That took a looong time to rehab. I'm not going above the rings until RC is completely mastered!

NoHiddenCosts
Coach Sommer said:

Just because you can do it, doesn't always mean you should do it.  

Is this difference determined by whether or not you can maintain form and tempo without sharp pain?

athleticandrey
Mats Trane said:

This is so true! I did all sorts of stuff above the rings before Foundations came out that resulted in injury. That took a looong time to rehab. I'm not going above the rings until RC is completely mastered!

So RC progression also prepares the elbows for straight arm work on rings? I thought that the purpose of RC progression was to prepare elbows for the rigors of rope climb? I mean RC develops bent arm pulling strength so how could it help with the development of straight arm pushing strength?

Micawberian
athleticandrey said:

So RC progression also prepares the elbows for straight arm work on rings? I thought that the purpose of RC progression was to prepare elbows for the rigors of rope climb? I mean RC develops bent arm pulling strength so how could it help with the development of straight arm pushing strength?

Rope climbing devlops the brachialis, the principal muscle for ring strength.