This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Just A Suggestion

Started by HB_Ron, November 24, 2014 · 24 Replies · 798 Views

HB_Ron

This is just a suggestion and it's based on my opinions. I hope I'm not alone with this:

 

This forum is a chaos when it comes to finding the correct mastery videos that have already been published. 

Is it possible to make a topic for the "required" form for each PE and its iM exercise?

It's more comfortable when you can watch someone performing a PE exercise to Mastery from different angles.

 

 

It's also frustrating when I have to ask people for advice again and again and I appreciate a lot their help.  There're lots of other similar topics that has already the answer to the questions. It's time consuming to open another same topic and give the same answer to the same question..

Joshua Slocum

Yeah, I've been thinking it might be useful to have something like a wiki so members can curate this sort of information. 

john_c

Just to point out that the mastery video's are on the GB course website and not the forum which is designed for discussion of the course material. 

That being said I think it would be helpful if there could be some organizing of subjects based on the elements and progressions.

 

I find the search function pretty poor. For example I did a search on SLS/PE1 and selected forum and got a grand total of 7 results !

I am sure there are more than 7 references to SLS/PE1 in the forum.

Joshua Slocum
tfeal said:

Just to point out that the mastery video's are on the GB course website and not the forum which is designed for discussion of the course material. 

That being said I think it would be helpful if there could be some organizing of subjects based on the elements and progressions.

 

I find the search function pretty poor. For example I did a search on SLS/PE1 and selected forum and got a grand total of 7 results !

I am sure there are more than 7 references to SLS/PE1 in the forum.

Part of the issue is people don't tag threads as often as is ideal.

Another issue is that there isn't always consistency in how people reference exercises. Sometimes they'll say "SLS PE1" or "PE1 in single leg squat" etc. 

TANSTAAFL
tfeal said:
I find the search function pretty poor. For example I did a search on SLS/PE1 and selected forum and got a grand total of 7 results !

I am sure there are more than 7 references to SLS/PE1 in the forum.

There was a recent topic about tagging that would solve some of that. Making it somewhat required to have a tag associated with new posts (not sure if there is a way, but even have it so the post will not go through unless there are at least 2 tags on it/i.e. error message). Also having a list of pre-approved tags such as 'SLS' 'PE1' 'iM2' etc. in a drop down format or the like so SLS/PE1 would have the respective tag might help. I'm just rolling as usual, not married to anything and like the wiki idea as well.

Sven Ravnstag

Back in my day we had to walk backwards up-hill 50 miles on rusty nails covered in yellow snow to read a copy of Building the Gymnastic Body at the local library.  

TANSTAAFL
Sven Ravnstag said:

Back in my day we had to walk backwards up-hill 50 miles on rusty nails covered in yellow snow to read a copy of Building the Gymnastic Body at the local library.  

You're local library carried BtGB!? We had to take a 2 month trip on a freighter then barter with foreigners.

john_c
TANSTAAFL said:

You're local library carried BtGB!? We had to take a 2 month trip on a freighter then barter with foreigners.

A freighter !  You were lucky, we had to do 5 sets of ABH with perfect form and the iM  before we could even join the queue for the freighter....

Rayne-William

The course videos demonstrate:

 

A) Full range of motion

B) The correct overall body position

C) At least one full repetition

Jon Douglas
tfeal said:

A freighter ! You were lucky, we had to do 5 sets of ABH with perfect form and the iM before we could even join the queue for the freighter....

5 sets of ABH!

KibboKift
tfeal said:

I find the search function pretty poor. For example I did a search on SLS/PE1 and selected forum and got a grand total of 7 results !

I am sure there are more than 7 references to SLS/PE1 in the forum.

I agree, the search function can be very frustrating. Some of the results returned by your example search are only there because people put SLS/PE1 in their signatures, so they may well not even be relevant. I think the problem is that most people type it as two separate words, but words of three characters or less are ignored by the search tool. Even if you search for "SLS PE1" you still get no results. Is there anything we can do about this? Tagging is all very well, but it would still leave all these older posts unsearchable.

 

On a separate note, I like the idea of a wiki.

Chris Moody
tfeal said:

A freighter !  You were lucky, we had to do 5 sets of ABH with perfect form and the iM  before we could even join the queue for the freighter....

Luxury. We used to have get up at 6 o'clock in the morning, perform 5 sets of ABH with a bent arm chin hang between sets, no rest, eat a handful of hot gravel, walk backward on our hands up the hill with nails covered in rust, yellow snow and anthrax, swim to the freighter, climb a rope to the top, barter with foreigners who spoke an unknown language, and Coach would thrash us into pancake position through our screams, if we were lucky!

vinca_minor

but you tell the kids that these days, and they don't believe you

texas_ed

A wiki is exactly the right idea. It would take hardly any time to spin up. GB would have to launch it, though, in order for it to tie in to the restricted authentication.

Coach Sommer

How would the proposed wiki be organized and access restricted to the appropriate students?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alexander Egebak
Coach Sommer said:

How would the proposed wiki be organized and access restricted to the appropriate students?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Well that is a difficult question.

 

Things that are written are very prone to torrent misuse.

 

Having that in mind, I would suggest a database within course portal.

 

Having it on the forums it would be a bit difficult to search through. Also, having it in the course portal ensures that the content of the wiki would have to be moderator approved which assures only quality content within the wiki.

 

It would be ideal to look at the design of the course portal first though, since many of the topics in the course portal could be featured in the wiki. The stickied forum posts regarding individual exercises should also be a part of the wiki. General training advice should also be considered to be a part of the wiki, making a specific exercises wiki and general training advice wiki (the lastest should containt information on deload weeks, shaking not accepted, minicycles etc.).

 

Regarding how F1 students should not access F2 wiki content you could make level of clearences. F1 = level 1 etc. H1-3 and R-series could have their only exercise specific wiki but share general training wiki. Or they could have clearence level 1a or something like that.

 

This is just ideas

Coach Sommer

Access to the wiki only within the course portal - Now that is a very interesting suggestion and quite possibly the best solution I have heard proposed on this matter to date.  It addresses the need for a specific, detailed instructional while at the same time restricting access to the appropriate students.  Very nicely thought out.

 

Please copy your post and send it as a PM to Cory Fair, add me to the conversation, and let's discuss this in more detail.

 

In the meanwhile, let's continue to discuss it here as well.  Off the top of my head, we would need a team of F1 volunteers to gather, collate, compile and edit the necessary info for the various movements that have proven especially problematic from threads within the F1 private forum.  For example, gathering and editing the highlights from the 29 page ABH thread!  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alexander Egebak
Coach Sommer said:

Access to the wiki only within the course portal - Now that is a very interesting suggestion and quite possibly the best solution I have heard proposed on this matter to date.  It addresses the need for a specific, detailed instructional while at the same time restricting access to the appropriate students.  Very nicely thought out.

 

Please copy your post and send it as a PM to Cory Fair, add me to the conversation, and let's discuss this in more detail.

 

In the meanwhile, let's continue to discuss it here as well.  Off the top of my head, we would need a team of F1 volunteers to gather, collate, compile and edit the necessary info for the various movements that have proven especially problematic from threads within the F1 private forum.  For example, gathering and editing the highlights from the 29 page ABH thread!  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

The ABH thread is sticky already, there we are lucky.

 

But exercises like swivel hips, deck squats and pseudo planche pushups also makes up quite a big deal of the topics.

HB_Ron
Rayne-William said:

The course videos demonstrate:

 

A) Full range of motion

B) The correct overall body position

C) At least one full repetition

I'm not trying to look rude or anything..What I mean is that there are quite a few exercises watching from one angle is not enough to correctly understand. For instance, I was performing MN/PE1-iM wrong. I didn't notice or expect that one leg should be in front and the other behind. From my perspective , I thought the legs in the demonstration video had been parallel until I watched the assessment one video. I realised I was doing it wrong. It took me some time to search through 70 pages certain key points to understand how it should be done.

 

Good Form:

post-8384-0-89434600-1417022350_thumb.pn

post-8384-0-87863300-1417022357_thumb.pn

post-8384-0-90253200-1417022379_thumb.pn

post-8384-0-34926200-1417022386_thumb.pn

 

Bad Form:

post-8384-0-95350200-1417022364_thumb.pn

Rob Rowland
Alexander Egebak said:

Well that is a difficult question.

 

Things that are written are very prone to torrent misuse.

 

Having that in mind, I would suggest a database within course portal.

 

Having it on the forums it would be a bit difficult to search through. Also, having it in the course portal ensures that the content of the wiki would have to be moderator approved which assures only quality content within the wiki.

 

It would be ideal to look at the design of the course portal first though, since many of the topics in the course portal could be featured in the wiki. The stickied forum posts regarding individual exercises should also be a part of the wiki. General training advice should also be considered to be a part of the wiki, making a specific exercises wiki and general training advice wiki (the lastest should containt information on deload weeks, shaking not accepted, minicycles etc.).

 

Regarding how F1 students should not access F2 wiki content you could make level of clearences. F1 = level 1 etc. H1-3 and R-series could have their only exercise specific wiki but share general training wiki. Or they could have clearence level 1a or something like that.

 

This is just ideas

This is a great idea.  I play an online computer game called EVE and my in-game corporation uses a permission-gated Wiki to provide game information to the public and develop strategies private to members -- it's all integrated with the forum software and uses the same userbase.

 

See http://www.ipbwiki.com/

KibboKift

I like the idea of access via the course portal - it would be nice if there were a single login for the course portal and forum to make things a bit smoother.

 

Since the course material is already well-organised, I see no reason to change or add-to the existing structure. Why not simply have a link from each exercise to its own wiki page? So if you needed more info on PPP for example, you would go to the SPl>PE3 section of the course material and click on the wiki link there. I'm not sure exactly where the location of the wiki pages would be, but perhaps it could be nested into the course forum structure underneath the appropriate course. This would take care of access requirements automatically and mean that the appropriate wiki could easily be linked-to from regular forum posts as well.

 

By my count there are 82 exercises in F1. We'd need a list of volunteers  and then the exercises could be shared out between them so that they could collate all the information and write the initial article for each one, bearing in mind it would be better to give the later exercises to the more experienced members. The format could be loosely based on Weezer's ABH summary sticky. After that the wiki would then be opened up to a peer-editing phase and then, after things have settled down (4 weeks later say) , the whole wiki would be moderated. Following this each edit would be moderated, but I wouldn't expect that to happen very often, since everyone would already have had chance to give their input. Particularly contentious pages might warrant a thread in the forum to discuss what should and should not be there.

 

Just throwing a few ideas around to facilitate discussion.

Alexander Egebak
KibboKift said:

I like the idea of access via the course portal - it would be nice if there were a single login for the course portal and forum to make things a bit smoother.

 

Since the course material is already well-organised, I see no reason to change or add-to the existing structure. Why not simply have a link from each exercise to its own wiki page? So if you needed more info on PPP for example, you would go to the SPl>PE3 section of the course material and click on the wiki link there. I'm not sure exactly where the location of the wiki pages would be, but perhaps it could be nested into the course forum structure underneath the appropriate course. This would take care of access requirements automatically and mean that the appropriate wiki could easily be linked-to from regular forum posts as well.

 

By my count there are 82 exercises in F1. We'd need a list of volunteers  and then the exercises could be shared out between them so that they could collate all the information and write the initial article for each one, bearing in mind it would be better to give the later exercises to the more experienced members. The format could be loosely based on Weezer's ABH summary sticky. After that the wiki would then be opened up to a peer-editing phase and then, after things have settled down (4 weeks later say) , the whole wiki would be moderated. Following this each edit would be moderated, but I wouldn't expect that to happen very often, since everyone would already have had chance to give their input. Particularly contentious pages might warrant a thread in the forum to discuss what should and should not be there.

 

Just throwing a few ideas around to facilitate discussion.

I like your suggestion.

 

You present the idea of a wiki that should not be seperate to the rest of the course portal. This would give the advantage of not much required work to change the course portal, and members already familar with the course portal would not have a hard time navigating through the wiki.

 

Another solution that I off the head explained earlier was to seperate the wiki from the exercise videos and keypoints. Doing this would not make beginners believe that they should read every topic of the wiki before starting an exercise. Over-analysis could perhaps be limited to some extent, and that is also time consuming - especially if the reader is not familar with exercise science.

 

I think the wiki could be organized as some kind of a dictionary where you look up the exercise you want to know more about or the general strength training topic you want to know more about (here I mean merging some of the info in the course to the wiki to keep the course as basic as possible).

 

How to organize each wiki page there are many options and what would be the best one varies very much from the kind of exercise we are talking about (iM vs PE vs SE), the importance of the exercise and the special things that you need to be aware of.

Rayne-William
HB_Ron said:

I'm not trying to look rude or anything..What I mean is that there are quite a few exercises watching from one angle is not enough to correctly understand. For instance, I was performing MN/PE1-iM wrong. I didn't notice or expect that one leg should be in front and the other behind. From my perspective , I thought the legs in the demonstration video had been parallel until I watched the assessment one video. I realised I was doing it wrong. It took me some time to search through 70 pages certain key points to understand how it should be done.

 

Watching something for the first time it is easy to miss minor details.

 

Personally speaking. After a workout if I had any doubts about form while doing an element, I tend to review the course video and keep looking for things I might have missed before hand.

 

Taking MN/PE1>iM the athletes feet aren't parallel to each other, his heels are pointed in such away that they would be perpendicular with each other.

David Hurwitz

I'd been hearing about assessment videos for a little bit now, but I figured they were the same as the course videos.  But they aren't, are they?  When were they released and how can I access them?  Thanks.

Ryan Reynolds

David the assessment videos are under the introduction heading in the course material.  They've been there for a few months now.