44 y.o. still problems with circles

Started by kevp951, July 8, 2009 · 13 Replies · 3,723 Views

kevp951

Hi everyone,

I'm still having problems geting multiple circles 95 percent of the time. Sometimes I get lucky and get 2 or 3 but they probably don't look very good. These are not my best but maybe that will help get me some good critiques to get me going. I can't stay really straight on bucket circles but the mushroom messes me up, I don't know why here is the link, thanks in advance Kev http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfjwP1XUn9w

kevp951

And also it seems that my mushroom is hard to get around without touching it. It feels that if the circumference were not so big I could go around with a stiff body. My homemade mushroom is 25 inches tall and the circumference of the top mushroom part is a little over 23 inches (measuring from one side to the other side) Is that about the size of the professional ones?

Blairbob

First off, your start which we call the feint. You need to start at the 6 o clock position not the 5 or 4 o clock position where you are starting. Your feint, that little hop is very small and why you are having a helluva time generating momentum.

Start at 6 o clock and step out to your left towards 9 o clock.

Start off with fixing this before I even start to think about any other possible circle issues.

kevp951

O.K. Blairbob, i will fix that. A guy at gymnastics (not a gymnast) who can do about 30 circles told me if I had to rely on speed for my circles that I am not doing them right, so I have not tried to get alot of momentum since then. I also saw that my mushroom is taller than regulation gymnastics mushrooms and adjusted it closer to specs, which is about 18 inches above the ground or so. I'll post a new improved video soon....thanks again, Kevin

Gregor

Speed is not for balance, but speed is necessary to develop high altitude circles and for harder things.

Blairbob

We use taller mushrooms for taller people or kids. Most mushrooms are built for kids about 4-5 tall.

However, it's good also to work floor circles which we've been doing a lot. The kids find them annoying to doing them on the mushroom but there has been some noticeable improvements in extension of the hips and body when they go back to mushroom.

Coach Sommer
A guy at gymnastics (not a gymnast) who can do about 30 circles told me if I had to rely on speed for my circles that I am not doing them right

This advice is completely and totally incorrect and should be disregarded.

You are correct in assuming that the wider surface of your mushroom makes it more difficult to swing with a straight body; especially for beginners. My recommendation would be to construct as narrow and high a base as possible to allow your body to hang down more and to swing more freely without your strength being a limiting factor.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

kevp951

Here is my latest circle attempts at open gym on a real mushroom this week. I was tired here but earlier in the night was getting 1 1/2 to 2 circles but going into the 2nd circle my butt was touching the mushroom going across the 12 o'clock (rear support) position. keep the tips coming, I want circles in the next month or so and I'm willing to work these tips extremely hard. Every little bit is helping me....here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VW7YzZvSt0

thanks, kev

Blairbob

Your butt is still low in the front. Belly up, butt as far from the mushroom as possible, get your legs extended.

Most of the mushrooms like that can have the top be taken off. Take it off and place it on slick mats and wear socks. Work floor circles because they teach extension. They are also difficult this way but when you take it back to mushroom you'll find you will be more extended.

I would feint more to the left side as you enter the circle but it's a huge error.

Coach Sommer

Currently your primary error is that you are slow leaning back onto the left arm at the conclusion of your first circle. While many coaches prefer to go down onto the floor immediately during circle development, my personal preference would be for you to continue to work on the high mushroom until you can perform at least 5-10 circles consecutively.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

Coach Sommer, I came across another coach on chalkbucket who filmed his typical floor progressions even for the L4's and beginners doing circles. While it is probably frustrating for these beginners to start them on the floor vs just mushroom, I do like his approach. For some of the basic positions, a mushroom can be too tall for some young guys if we want their shoulder to be over their hand in the position walks. It can also curb them of that habit of just doing butt circles or trying to jump from the feint to rear support.

Currently I have my non circling guys work the floor mushroom progressions ( mainly the walks and holds ) and then go to mushroom to work circles besides using bucket as the 3rd rotation.

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/mens-artistic-gymnastics-mag/20468-what-most-important-things-develop-new-l4-boys-2.html thread on chalkbucket about what to train with L4 JO MAG and circles

circle progression video
Coach Sommer
For some of the basic positions, a mushroom can be too tall for some young guys if we want their shoulder to be over their hand in the position walks.

This is a common problem although quite simple to fix; have them begin their circles standing on a panel mat.

If young athletes ever want to progress past a basic circle into advanced optional pommel horse skills, it is essential that they learn to swing/hang and not support during their circles. Emphasizing 1/4 circle support drills during a young athlete's development will greatly impede that progress.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

Yeah, I have the boys use panel mats for one mushroom that is too big for them. We only have about 8 panel mats in our gym so sometimes we are just out of panel mats ( especially if the girls are on beam and for some FX/V drills ).

I was originally having them do the support holds to learn shoulder over hand ( shoulder lean ) for the body position besides some strength work. Should I have them skip this altogether or can I do have them to do it with the shoulder in the ear versus pushed down? I think went back to doing the position holds ( sometimes focusing on counter turned hips ) because they tended to do circle walks so sloppily.

We still work a lot of bucket. Our bucket is set up in an area not near our PH ( off a 2nd higher set of rings from the ceiling we rarely use ) so I set up bucket and mushrooms in that area or they do lots of hip circles on the rings.

kevp951

Thanks EVERYBODY!!! I have noticed that when I'm full of energy and i keep my butt way above the mushroom out front that 1 circle is almost too easy, but until now I had not noticed that I was putting my left hand down slow at the conclusion of my first circle. I believe those 2 things together may solve my problem. I'm recovering from soreness from a big night at open gym working back handsprings with an open gym coach/spotter, front flips, etc so as soon as I'm back to 100 percent I'm gonna see how things go and hopefully have some progress to report! THANK YOU!!!!!