This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS and CAM type femoroacetabular impingement

Started by Mark Henninger, November 24, 2014 · 4 Replies · 114 Views

Mark Henninger

Hey Guys, 

 

I have a CAM type femoroacetabular impingement, which makes it impossible for me to squat below parallel. My doctor even told me not to try to go deeper or to put to much dynamic pressure on my hips. 

 

Has anyone any experience with increasing hip mobility in case of a cam type impingement?

 

Thank you guys  :)

 

Mark Collins

Your joint mechanics generally will not allow it. Don't try to force the ROM as you will be heading for an early hip replacement. I would do the SLS with your available range of movement. Make sure you cause no bad pain with these exercises. If you follow the SLS and adapt it it will help get more years out of the hip joint.

I would do air squats for deck squats then move on to Cossack squats and 1/2 ROM twisting squats.

Mark Henninger

Thank you very much,

 

I'll start with the air squats, move on to cossack squats and see how far I can go with my mobility. I'm sure I will never make the full SLS but I don't want to have a hip replacement either! 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I don't know what that medical condition is, because, well, I'm not a doctor? Try Google maybe. If not google, try yoga. I do yoga. Yoga works. Or don't do yoga? I don't know whatever you said you suffer from stipulates you not being able to do.

George Launchbury
Mark Collins said:

Your joint mechanics generally will not allow it. Don't try to force the ROM as you will be heading for an early hip replacement. I would do the SLS with your available range of movement. Make sure you cause no bad pain with these exercises. If you follow the SLS and adapt it it will help get more years out of the hip joint.

I would do air squats for deck squats then move on to Cossack squats and 1/2 ROM twisting squats.

+1 for Mark's advice. Mobility work will not change the fact that the head of the femur is not round/smooth.