I cannot do Swivel Hips without feeling strain in my knees. I don't even feel a stretch in my hip. Does anyone have any insight that could help me here as I'm unwilling to 'push through the pain' so to speak.
Thanks in advance.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by BlueLion, November 23, 2014 · 7 Replies · 266 Views
I cannot do Swivel Hips without feeling strain in my knees. I don't even feel a stretch in my hip. Does anyone have any insight that could help me here as I'm unwilling to 'push through the pain' so to speak.
Thanks in advance.
Not sure if this is helpful to you, but for me, when I do the internal rotation part and reach a point where I feel tension in my knee, I back up just a little bit and instead of thinking of pusing the knee down, I think of trying to lift the foot up in the air while the knee stays in the same spot. The foot won't actually come off ground, though.
For me, I feel it more in my gluteus medius now.
Good advice. This helps quite a bit, forces me to tense the relevant muscles to take the strain. Thanks for the cue.
You can also tense your quads as though you are doing a leg press, and keep doing that whilst rotating the hips. That should help stabilise the knee and keep lateral pressure off that joint.
Matthew Hanham said:You can also tense your quads as though you are doing a leg press, and keep doing that whilst rotating the hips. That should help stabilise the knee and keep lateral pressure off that joint.
I noticed that pressure in the knees come when legs are closer to each other. Experiment with how far legs should be apart and that you follow the video strictly. I didn't
Do yoga. Specifically the fire log and shoelace poses. These will help target the gluteus medius specifically. The hero pose helps, too. But fire log, shoelace (and later cowface) actualy mimic the static body positioning seen in the dynamic movement of the swivel hips.
Thanks for all the tips guys, much appreciated. Daniel Taylor-Shaut, I attempted the two yoga poses you mentioned but cannot even get into the Fire Log so I went as close as was comfortable. Thanks all, will keep trying.
Well, then you know where to improve. You should feel those poses in your glutes, hips and knees though. Keep at it, the effort will pay off.