Until a couple years ago when I started CrossFit I didn't realize I had a mobility problem. I was a runner for years and really didn't do anything but run and Tri's. I am 41 years onld and I have been a desk jockey for the last 20 years. I have been working on my mobility since starting crossfit and have come along way but still can not put my hands behind my head. I have went to PT's and chiropractors and massage therapists, etc with minimal results. I heard of Gymnastics Bodies on Barbell Shrugged and how it could help mobility. I have purchased the Foundation and Handstand series and am working through them but am struggling even with the basic mobility movements as I can't lock out anything above my head. I am looking for advice on what I need to do to be able to get my mobility back to even 85-90% use. I am very willing to put the work in that I need to do and will continue through the series, but I feel like I am going to be stuck on week one forever with out further mobility work. I am attaching a picture of me laying on the ground showing my upper body mobility as a point of reference. Also a video of me doing ![]()
IMG_0302.MOV
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Horrid Mobility
Started by Michael Houser, November 20, 2014 · 12 Replies · 604 Views
Stick with the course, it wonders. H1 is especially for shoulder mobility but even HBP:IM 1 can make a difference if like me your starting mobility is very poor.
Spend some time reading through old threads especially on the H1 board. A lot of the same problems come up and have been answered in a lot of detail. I spent a year on H1 IM 1 and 2 but it's worth the commitment. There is no magic solution only hard work.
Don't get me wrong, Im not looking for a magic solution. I have been working on my mobility for 3 years now. When i realized that not being able to put my hands behind my head wasn't normal, I started mobilizing. At first I couldn't hang from a pullup bar without extreme pain. I have come a long way and have a long way to go. I am looking for suggestions of things I can do extra to help out. I have been reading the forums and have noted a lot of things to do.
Adding to what Murray has stated...
Despite how old you are, you will always be younger than the Earth and it is a good thing you are addressing your minor mobility issues now than later.
Print the following out, keep it near your desk, and do the simple stretches frequently.
By all means stick with the courses, as the other posters have said. But I understand your frustration when, in some cases, you can't even get to the starting line. You're probably going to have to go a bit off-piste to get where you need to be. Some of the advice in this recent thread might be useful to you too:
One of the most important first steps you can take IMO is to begin to understand what is happening with your own body and what exactly is limiting your mobility in any given situation. Paying careful attention to the sensations you experience during stretching is also crucial, since the increase in proprioception alone has been shown to be a significant component in improving flexibility. The process is a long one, involving a lot of research, self-experimentation and questions, but it is a rewarding one.
Many of us are impatiently waiting for the GB stretch series to be released, but until then several members have recommended the work of Kit Laughlin, Kelly Starret and Tom Kurz. The following is a recent find which I think is a great introduction to the importance of fascial chains: http://www.fasciaresearch.de/Schleip_TrainingPrinciplesFascial.pdf
In addition to the stretches I suggested in the aforementioned forum thread, the following may also help you:
- Dead hangs. Hollowing at the same time will load your lats more.
- Stand with your LEFT side next to something you can grab onto just above head height (I use the stringer of my stairs). Reach over your head and grab the support with your RIGHT hand. Lean outwards (ie to your right) so that all your weight is borne by your right foot and right hand. You should feel a strong stretch all the way down your right side.
I hope you can keep us updated on your progress. Aside from our personal experiences, this is the best way for us to refine our understanding of what works and what doesn't. Best of luck!
I go for myofascial releasing about every 6 weeks and that has helped my mobility greatly. It can be pretty brutal, but its well worth it. Thanks for all your advice. I will keep posting and keep asking questions. I know that this program will help me get back to close to normal over time.
Damn, that's the zombie apocalypse right there! Did you wake up one morning to discover that you were immobile, or did you realise that something was wrong, but chose to ignore it? Just stay the course with F1/H1, that's a good first step. I'm wondering if your condition is pathological - I've never seen a case that severe before.
I never realized it until I started CrossFit. I was an endurance athlete my whole life and never did anything else. One day I was told put your hands above your head and hold this. My hands would only go about eye level. There is a debate among Dr's I have seen if its pathological or not. My Dad died of Parkinsons disease and I have had one tell me that it could be related to that. The others have just said its from sitting at for years upon end and not doing mobility work at all. I now have a stand up desk which helps.
If you still have mobility that poor after 3 years of mobilising you have not been doing the right thing. I feel your pain and frustration Can you list what you are doing in terms of mobility each week. Also list what work you do and Crossfit workouts. The more specific you are the better.
I am sure I am not doing the right thing. I have had some much contradicting information that I am not sure what the right thing is anymore. I have been told to do many ,many different things by "professionals" over the last couple years to improve my mobility. Sorry I dont know the name of alot of these stretches so I will just explain them. I have been told that alot of my shoulder issues comes from my chest. So I lay on a foam roller down the center of my back and hold weights out. I also use a corner put my elbows on it and push in the corner. For the issue of not being able to put my hands above my head. I hang from a pull-up bar alot. I installed one in my living room so I can hang more often. I hang until I loose my grip strength. I also put a foam roller under my shoulder blades and then grab and olympic bar and pull my hands behind my head. I push my head through and hold it for as long as I can. I do this for probably 10-15 minutes. I use the doorway put my arms on the frame and lean in. I do lots of dislocates trying to move my arms in closer. Windmills, etc with PVC. For my back I lay over an exercise ball both forward and backwards. I also lay on my back and put my knee over to one side and try to keep my shoulders on the ground (I can't). I do various hip mobility drills like the spiderman stretch, sitting in squat. I don't do all of these everyday, but I try and do them all a couple times over the week. For work I am a Systems Architect in IT. Most my issues stem from sitting at a desk most my adult life and not knowing there was more to life than just endurance sports. I now have a standup desk though. As far as CrossFit. My wife and I had a child about 4 months ago and I have pretty much laid off CrossFit. If I do anything its just functional bodyweight movements like squats trying to hold perfect form, Strict Pullups, push-ups, situps, things of that nature. I do a little running, Rowing and air dyne also for cardio. I am really dedicating to the GB program because nothing else has worked and I am tired of not being able to move like normal people can. Basically anything over head, I can not do and I don't like it. I have great body weight strength, but none of that is useful when I can't hold my hands above my head. I feel that I need to be doing more weighted mobility protocols but I have no clue what will help at this point.
You are doing some good things at the moment, but could do with some refinement.
I would do the following for the quickest results;
1. Use the foam roller as a quick 2-3 minute warm up. It is too round and thick to be specific enough to target areas in your body. Get hold of two lacrosse balls taped together and a single lacrosse ball for specific mobility.
2. Lay on the double lacrosse balls for 30-60 minutes a day. Place these from the upper thoracic to upper lumbar spine. You can spend time rotating the spine on the balls. Also holding a light weight in your hands with the arms overhead works well. During this hour you can also use a single lacrosse ball on the ribs each side with various arm movements.
3. Foam roller on the lats/posterior shoulder and infraspinatus. Then use the lacrosse ball on these areas and focus on finding the tightest areas.
4. Chin tucks for the neck
5. Work your way through the HBP mobility series. In particular the chest and thoracic stretches.
6. Hang from the stall bars in a hollow body position.
7. At work stretch 5 mins every hour. This can be a simple reach overhead for 30 secs, twist the spine, chin tucks etc.
8. Have a look at Kelly Starrett's mobility exercises as they compliment Foundation
9. Get the stretch series when it comes out.
10. Be patient as it has taken you along time to get poor mobility. Keep up Foundation and Handstand as it will be the best form of exercise for you.
I would try to total 1-2 hours a day until you are mobile.
I have some issues as well, but nothing as severe as you. I have spend a fair amount of time on foam rollers and balls without seeing to much benefit until recently. I needed to get active, as just laying on the tender spots felt nice(ish), but just gave temporary relief. Now when I find a tender spot I try to keep the pressure up while moving the joint instead of rolling around on top of it. It seems to break up stuff better
Example: Take the double lacrosse balls and lay them lengthwise beside the upper spine, lay on them and when it hurts so good, bring the arm up from the ground while keeping it straight.
I do things like this about an hour after workout to keep zombie state from taking hold as my body cools down. A lot of similar excersises on Starrets site under shoulder and first rib mobilization. It takes time to get better, but I can finally sleep on both shoulders again after sorting out and old injury that was said to permanent, tok me the better part of 18 months and progress has been best this fall while also being serious with F1/ H1.
F
Mark, I have a lacrosse ball, but only one. I have more on its way. Thanks for the advice, its very specific and I like that. Most of the advice I have gotten in the past (even from people I paid) has been general. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. I have been very frustrated in the past, but I feel GB is what I have been looking for.