This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wall handstand 10 inchees (25 cm) (facing in) body line

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, November 20, 2014 · 5 Replies · 181 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi! I have some problems on performing handstand face to wall with proper form. First at all I have to understand the correct posture. I started to put hands about 10-12 inchees to wall.

Look at the two pics. In both of them hollow body position is kept (at least I think so [emoji6]), but it looks like in the first pic the girl's body follows a continuos oblique line from the hands to the feet.

In the second one, it looks more like a broken line, but the body is completely vertical from hands to bottom, then hips are a bit bent. This way feet are allowed to touch the wall!

So I wonder which is the correct line I have to master for a proper form of wall HS face to wall, if I start to put hands about 10 inches to wall (25 cm). An oblique continuos line from hands to feet, or better a broken line, vertical from hands to butt and oblique from butt to feet?

Thank you!

post-10847-14164835908_thumb.png

post-10847-141648362014_thumb.png

Murray Truelove

Not sure I understand the comparison.

The correct posture for a handstand requires open shoulders, hollow back and tucked hips. When preforming the wall handstand get your hands a close to the wall as you can a try to achieve the position practiced in PE:4.

KibboKift

What Murray said.

 

Neither picture you post is perfect as far as I can see. In the first picture there is rounding in the thoracic spine and arching in the lumbar spine. In the second pic there is clearly some piking (ie legs not parallel with spine), although she does a much better job of straightening her spine.

 

If you want to see good form, look no further than the video, for HS PE9

Micawberian

I understand what you're asking

The second picture with the hips bent is the more correct form for the wall handstand. Because the girl is quite far from the wall, her hips must pike to allow her to maintain an open shoulders position. In fact, this goes for all wall handstand regardless of distance. Even if you were 2 inches from the wall, there will still be hip pike. This is just a necessary part of wall handstand.

The first picture more resembles a hollow body wall walk, which is an exercise much much later in the h1 course.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Micawberian said:

I understand what you're asking

The second picture with the hips bent is the more correct form for the wall handstand. Because the girl is quite far from the wall, her hips must pike to allow her to maintain an open shoulders position. In fact, this goes for all wall handstand regardless of distance. Even if you were 2 inches from the wall, there will still be hip pike. This is just a necessary part of wall handstand.

The first picture more resembles a hollow body wall walk, which is an exercise much much later in the h1 course.

Thank you Micawberian! That's exactly what I was asking for!![emoji2]
Micawberian
KibboKift said:

What Murray said.

 

In the first picture there is rounding in the thoracic spine and arching in the lumbar spine.

Her lumbar spine is not arched...I think it is the glutes and the very rounded upper back that gave the impression

 

mauler said:

Thank you Micawberian! That's exactly what I was asking for!![emoji2]

 

You're welcome. I understand it's hard to see this in the course video because it doesn't show the side view. If you look at the video for PE11, it should help you if you still have confusion.