This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elements that should forever be kept in warm-up

Started by NoHiddenCosts, November 20, 2014 · 10 Replies · 947 Views

NoHiddenCosts

I'm trying to get a read on what lower-level elements (strength and mobility from F1/H1) should always be kept in the warmup of one's workout after they have been mastered. This includes things like Jefferson Curls and Dislocates, which train niche strength/mobility that upper level elements don't quite target. Below I've got a list of elements that seem to fit the bill from what I've read

 

-HS/PE3-8>iM (Flx, Ext, Various Dislocates) [building up to 20kg]

-All the SLS iMs (Knee prep)

-Jefferson Curls [building up to bodyweight]

-Arch Body Hold/Rock

-Hang Leg Lifts? (This seems to be a staple in every gymnast's warmup)

-Handstand Wall Run? (Coach found this strengthens Shoulder Girdle to improve Press HS work, so it seems like something worth keeping)

 

By the time all of us make it to F2 and HS SE elements, are there be any other elements we should be sure to keep up with? Or will everything else be fully covered by whatever level of the progression we have made it to?

Daniel Burnham
NoHiddenCosts said:

I'm trying to get a read on what lower-level elements (strength and mobility from F1/H1) should always be kept in the warmup of one's workout after they have been mastered. This includes things like Jefferson Curls and Dislocates, which train niche strength/mobility that upper level elements don't quite target. Below I've got a list of elements that seem to fit the bill from what I've read

 

-HS/PE3-8>iM (Flx, Ext, Various Dislocates) [building up to 20kg]

-All the SLS iMs (Knee prep)

-Jefferson Curls [building up to bodyweight]

-Arch Body Hold/Rock

-Hang Leg Lifts? (This seems to be a staple in every gymnast's warmup)

-Handstand Wall Run? (Coach found this strengthens Shoulder Girdle to improve Press HS work, so it seems like something worth keeping)

 

By the time all of us make it to F2 and HS SE elements, are there be any other elements we should be sure to keep up with? Or will everything else be fully covered by whatever level of the progression we have made it to?

Pick the things you hate most.  List looks ok.  I personally do almost every single leg exercise as part of my warmup.

Micawberian

Swivel hips!

NoHiddenCosts
Micawberian said:

Swivel hips!

Oh yeah, swivel hips are a definite for me! Stupid internal rotation...

 

Daniel Burnham said:

Pick the things you hate most.  List looks ok.  I personally do almost every single leg exercise as part of my warmup.

Oh boy! And by "every single leg exercise" do you mean all the strength and mobility elements of SLS?

Kasper Stangerup

I think one should be wary of trying to do too much. If I accumulate too many things that I have to do every workout, I soon feel my motivation beginning to wane. It's simply a matter of the most absolutely limited resource that we have: Time. If the warm-up approaches an hour in duration and I have to do stretching at the end of the workout, then I am quikly running out of free time. 

A solution could be to rotate the "evergreen" excercises over the course of a couple of weeks or a month. 

Murray Truelove

Looks like a good list. I'd add scapula shrugs and RC:pe6.

Alexander Egebak

I agree that shoulder dislocates and jefferson curls are very important to build up with weight and steadily advance in. Here I'm thinking 3 x 5 reps.

 

For maintaining strength I would add chin grip hangs, arch body rocks, full hollow body rocks, full leg raises and pseudo planche push ups. Here I'm thinking one full mastery set.

 

The knee protocol maybe but it depends on wether or not I start up parkour again.

 

Obviously I am not that advanced but this is my plan.

NoHiddenCosts

I agree one should not do too much, which is part of why I made this thread. Things like the shoulder series in H1 and the knee series in F1/2 are good to keep, as they are exercises that will not necessarily be maintained by continuing the progressions (ability to do a full handstand may not entail the ability to do a 20kg narrow dislocate, and similarly a manna or side lever may not translate fully to a bodyweight jefferson curl or ABH). In contrast, scap shrug proficiency should be maintained by the later sPL elements in F1, chin hang proficiency should be maintained by later F2 RC elements, and anyone who can do an HBP can certainly do a PPP. An HBR as well should be maintained by F2 FL elements.

 

That being said, the elements immediately following those in F1 may not maintain proficiency (like the dip series following PPP), so those are good to keep for element-specific warmup. When I achieve PPP, it will probably remain in my warmup for a long while, but not indefinitely.

Spphysio
Murray Truelove said:

Looks like a good list. I'd add scapula shrugs and RC:pe6.

Totally agree...

About scapula shrugs though I would say train them from the plank position sPL/PE2 much more difficult and much more productive...You learn to feel what is the correct protraction since the scapula movement is only scapulothoracic at least for me they are doing wonderfull things..their effects tranfer great on the planche lean...

Apart from RC/PE6 maybe also RC/PE5 I thing we should keep at least a warm up set and even improve it of an horizontal pull exercise...

Jon Douglas
Spphysio said:

Apart from RC/PE6 maybe also RC/PE5 I thing we should keep at least a warm up set and even improve it of an horizontal pull exercise...

F3 pulling work covers this to a higher level :) and of course as ones front lever improves to SE level you can introduce FL rows as required and appropriate.

Nick Roy

I've successfully played around with dislocates before, I love the response my body gets from them. But i haven't mastered the prior elements, so I put the dislocates on hold for now. But those will forever be in my warm up. Along with Xiaoengs. Forward and back. My right arm (dominant arm) is actually weaker in this movement than my left. It's probably just a posture/tightness imbalance somewhere. But I'm looking forward to upping the weight past 10 pounds, when it becomes easy for both arms.

I'm thinking:

Routine A:

Dislocates

Forward/Back Xiaoengs

Jefferson Curls

Hip Swivels

Routine B:

ABH-ABR upgrading to rocks when mastered

HBH-HBR upgrading to rocks when mastered

SLS iM's.

Wall Runs 1-2 times a week. Once I've mastered all elements and combined them into F7, I'll make both routines a single warm up routine. It only makes sense to warm up for the days workout. It is just that. A warmup.