This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Russian Dips and arm strength imbalance

Started by John Everingham, November 19, 2014 · 3 Replies · 214 Views

John Everingham

I am having a strange issue with left arm. During the transition of the Russian Dip where my are is most bent I feel like my left arm is much weaker than my right. I was testing my strength at the same arm angle on a cable machine and my left arm could only lift half what my right arm could but only in that position. I have not had this issue with any of the other types of dips or pressing; only once my arm gets past 90 degrees of flexion do I notice a difference.  It feels like the tendons articulate over my bones differently in my left arm and after it gets past about 90 degrees of flexion it doesn't feel weak. Has anyone else experienced this? There isn't any noticeable difference in the size of my triceps muscles; if anything my left arm is slightly bigger. Any advice or help would be great because this is severely hindering my progress. 

 

 

 

 

John Everingham

Bump

Rayne-William

Okay, focus on strengthening your weaker arm. You should be using the same amount of weight for bicep curling and tricep extensions.

 

If you want big biceps and triceps: 1) Increase weight once every twelve weeks. Once the same weight starts feeling light use less moment and slow down the eccentric and concentric phases of the lift.  2) Use hammer curls so that you can do a tricep extension with the same weight at the bottom of the bicep curl. Grip the dumb bell closer to one of the weighted ends rather than in the middle.

Jon Douglas

I understand that you are concerned about imbalances but unless there is pathology or pain I don't think there is an issue. The act of training this movement is addressing the problem. You'll just be working with the left arm being the limiting factor.

If there is no problem other than difference in strength, that will be sorted out as you progress. Left will always be lower but that gap will narrow.

You will need to actively monitor your form to ensure you are not compensating with the stronger side, but most of us are doing that to some extent :) think of it as primarily training the left, the right doesn't need your attention to do Russian dips, so it can continue along in the background unconsciously while the left improves :)

Needless to say everything changes with pathology.