This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle-L Progression

Started by Sean Hunter, November 18, 2014 · 6 Replies · 511 Views

Sean Hunter

I train L-sits and Middle Split Holds twice a week after Foundation, but i haven't really gotten to the point of training my Straddle-L

 

Can anyone recommend a good straddle-L progression?

Daniel Burnham

Straddle L progressions are specifically outlined in foundation.  Why are you doing these things after foundation instead of as foundation?

Sean Hunter

I'm still on F1 for everything except SLS. What element progresses your straddle-L....Manna? 

Daniel Burnham

There is a clear pathway towards Manna which includes straddle l in the foundation series. All of these build the capacity needed for both skills. Best way is to got through the manna progressions including mobility.

If you have foundation then you already have a list of progressions...

Sailor Venus

I haven't done any of this yet, but I sense that a straddle-L is bascially a tuck planche, with your legs locked out in front pointing at 45 degrees. If I want a straddle-l, I'll try get the tuck planche nailed down first. Then try putting my legs outside my arms. Train the hip flexors so they are able to lift a locked out leg.

Daniel Burnham
Sailor Venus said:

I haven't done any of this yet, but I sense that a straddle-L is bascially a tuck planche, with your legs locked out in front pointing at 45 degrees. If I want a straddle-l, I'll try get the tuck planche nailed down first. Then try putting my legs outside my arms. Train the hip flexors so they are able to lift a locked out leg.

This is bad advice. Sure both tuck planche and lsit are supported by the arms and some things are similar but the major thing in planche is lean. That is not something you work on for straddle l. Also the hardest part of straddle l is compression. Not support. They should be worked simultaneously.

katlinchen

In my opinion, tuck planche and straddle L can't be compared. Of course, both skills require strong arms and a strong core, but which move doesn't in Gymnastics?

A good drill is: sit in straddle, put your hands in front of you and lift your legs simultaneously for about 10-15 times. The further you put your hands away from your body, the harder it gets.

Besides that: leg lifts, planche leans, core work.... so basically foundation!