This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Benefits of Jefferson curls ?

Started by MrPuppeh, November 17, 2014 · 16 Replies · 854 Views

MrPuppeh

I like this exercise, in general I like exercises that are controlled, weighted and in a good range of motion. 

 

But as a sports science novice student I would like to know all the benefits and carryovers of this exercise.

I would like to achieve a BW Jefferson curl myself.

 

I know Coach mentioned it in a podcast, but I would like to have a detailed explanation about this exercise if possible, because I think that the Jefferson curls are very underrated.

 

Thank you !

MrPuppeh

has this been discussed earlier ?

Murray Truelove

Something on this was mentioned it an earlier thread. Essentially it strengthens the vertebrae or something. Coach Sommmer didn't invent them so there should be plenty of information on them if you Google it.

bigB

My impression is that by slowly working through the range of motion you strengthen the disks in the back. It also helps to stretch the hamstrings.

I'm interested in this because my father(66) herniated a disc and developed drop foot. He'd had no other injuries and he injured it bending over to pick up a dog toy.

Rayne-William

If anyone wants to do more research on Jefferson Curls. It is also known as the "Loosening Deadlift"

Coach Sommer
bigB said:

My impression is that by slowly working through the range of motion you strengthen the disks in the back. It also helps to stretch the hamstrings.

I'm interested in this because my father(66) herniated a disc and developed drop foot. He'd had no other injuries and he injured it bending over to pick up a dog toy.

 

Sorry to hear about your father's injury.  However it is important to highlight for everyone that it was not the bending over for the dog toy that took out his back in and of itself; that was simply the last straw in a long line of factors that led to the deterioriation of his back to the point where something as banal as bending over permanently damaged his back.

 

Jefferson Curls work the fascia (the long primary strip that runs from the top of the head down to the bottom of the feet), ligaments between the veterbrae, discs, traps and spinal erectors, the upper hamstrings, lower hamstrings and also quite possibly the 'kitchen sink' - although that last is still conjecture at this time.   ;)

 

An interesting addendum:  The Chinese Olympic Lifting Team has discovered Jefferson Curls and now incorporate them into their athletes' training.  Although they think they developed them and like to refer to them as "Chinese Deadlifts".   :icon_rolleyes:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Duff
Coach Sommer said:

Sorry to hear about your father's injury.  However it is important to highlight for everyone that it was not the bending over for the dog toy that took out his back in and of itself; that was simply the last straw in a long line of factors that led to the deterioriation of his back to the point where something as banal as bending over permanently damaged his back.

 

Jefferson Curls work the fascia (the long primary strip that runs from the top of the head down to the bottom of the feet), ligaments between the veterbrae, discs, traps and spinal erectors, the upper hamstrings, lower hamstrings and also quite possibly the 'kitchen sink' - although that last is still conjecture at this time.   ;)

 

An interesting addendum:  The Chinese Olympic Lifting Team has discovered Jefferson Curls and now incorporate them into their athletes' training.  Although they think they developed them and like to refer to them as "Chinese Deadlifts".   :icon_rolleyes:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Should we feel the abdominals work during this exercise?

Alexander Egebak

I believe we are stretching the abdominals. The curl up motion locks them out. I could not do straddle ups right after if they were anywhere near intense on the core

Alessandro Mainente
Duff said:

Should we feel the abdominals work during this exercise?

the abs work always because the movement is a curl on the descent and a controlled extension and the ascent portion.

kimura

The abs may be acting as stabilizers but the prime movers on this exercise are the spinal erectors. Even though you are "curling" down, it is an eccentric contraction of the erectors slowing down the pull of gravity, not the abs pulling you into flexion.

The Hansenator

How would they be used in a weightlifting context? Would it be part of the warmup?

MrPuppeh
The Hansenator said:

How would they be used in a weightlifting context? Would it be part of the warmup?

Id say prehab and mobility

Alexander Egebak

Am I the only one wondering what the "kitchen sink" is? If it is a joke I do not get it.

Jennifer

It's an expression.

Alexander Egebak said:

Am I the only one wondering what the "kitchen sink" is? If it is a joke I do not get it.

NoHiddenCosts

I try to tense my abs as little as possible on this exercise, instead focusing on using the muscles around my spine. It seems like contracting the abs too much would detract from the purpose of the exercise.

Micawberian

I too was confused by "kitchen sink" and thought coach was referring to the pelvic floor muscles or something else where the sun don't shine...

 

Because the kitchen sink has like a hole in it, and its dark, and kitchens have germs...I was just so confused.