pulling exercises without equipment

Started by ausswe, November 17, 2014 · 16 Replies · 7,150 Views

ausswe

hej everyone,

 

i was wondering if anyone here has any good ideas for a way to train your lats and back without using any equipment what so ever.  only body weight and a floor/wall.  i thought about handstands for traps and upper back and crawling across the floor but the people that will be doing this exercise arent strong enough for wall handstands and the floor is a bit hard and dirty for crawling across.

 

any other ideas would be awesome thanks:D  (maybe reverse plank?)

cheers

Jennifer

Tug o' war?   I guess you'd need a rope.

 

It's a nice thing you're doing.   I bet you're learning a lot from this experience.  ;)

Pafke

V-sit, manna, reverse planche leans ? Also some tipe of victorian on floor as in this picture - http://prntscr.com/57adzj .

Hope this helps. :)

bigB

What about partner supported horizontal rows.

The person executing the movement grabs the wrist of the supporting person. If need be, you could use 2 supporting, one person holding onto each hand.

If you could gather some chairs, a Broomhandle across the tops of two chairs can be used for horizontal rows. You can also do supported dips between the two chairs.

I think reverse plank would be good too.

ausswe

Don't have anything. Could bring some chairs but they aren't really high enough you could only get at beat half rom which I suppose is better than nothing but I would need to get about 20-30 chairs which I'm not sure I could do :P. reverse planks/leans are all I could think of. I thought about the partner thing but the time is short so I need them all to be doing the exercise at the same time.

B1214N
Paf said:

V-sit, manna, reverse planche leans ? Also some tipe of victorian on floor as in this picture - http://prntscr.com/57adzj .

Hope this helps. :)

Those are all technically pushing exercises since the arms are moving away from the body and they won't work the lats.

ausswe

Just remember though these guys aren't really strong enough for me to feel comfortable with them doing wall hand stands so I am seriously limited :( maybe I'll just have to try and build something for them

bigB

If the chairs are not tall enough what about having 2 people hold the broom handle and one person do horizontal rows.

You probably want to match groups up by height.

If you could get access to some webbing you could make cheap versions of the TRX and hang the top over a door that you'd lock. Make a large knot in the middle of the webbing, place over top of door, close door, and wrap the ends around your hands. now PULL.

Another version could be to have one person supporting the exerciser with two hands while the exerciser only uses one hand to pull.

Pafke
B1214N said:

Those are all technically pushing exercises since the arms are moving away from the body and they won't work the lats.

Those are pushing exercises but they work on lats and upper back.

In v-sit and manna shoulders should be retracted and depressed, both retraction and depression work on lats and some other muscles in upper back.

ussjkenny

I hear you can get a good lat workout, by going out of your way to find something to pull on. Are there no doorways(No doors for that matter?) No rafters? No trees? 

ausswe

It's in a room with 1 doorway but no door the ceiling is abouts 15 meters high and nothing else in the room. Also like I said before I can't have 2 people holding something while another does the exercise because of time issues.

Thanks a lot for the help though guys I think my only real option is to build them some stuff to work with.

B1214N
Paf said:

Those are pushing exercises but they work on lats and upper back.

In v-sit and manna shoulders should be retracted and depressed, both retraction and depression work on lats and some other muscles in upper back.

The lats aren't used in retraction or depression and they don't work in shoulder extension if the upper arms and elbows are behind the body.

Pafke
B1214N said:

The lats aren't used in retraction or depression and they don't work in shoulder extension if the upper arms and elbows are behind the body.

http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Scapula.html

Im not that sure what is happening in manna becouse hips are much higher then in v-sit, but im sure that lats is working when you depress in v-sit or l-sit. I think many of us here can agree that they feel lats working in simple l-sit.

DieKatze
B1214N said:

The lats aren't used in retraction or depression and they don't work in shoulder extension if the upper arms and elbows are behind the body.

 

lat. dorsi is definitely used in scapula depression

 

http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Scapula.html

B1214N
Paf said:

http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Scapula.html

Im not that sure what is happening in manna becouse hips are much higher then in v-sit, but im sure that lats is working when you depress in v-sit or l-sit. I think many of us here can agree that they feel lats working in simple l-sit.

Cool, I stand corrected on the lats working in scapular depression. These pushing exercises won't work the lats anywhere near as hard as pulling exercises like front levers though.

Lee

I was gonna start a similar thread "Possible to train pull ups without ANY equipment??" till I found this. Being in the camp that pull up bar is still the best to train your back and for pull ups, I hope to see any floor exercises which is as effective.

 

Some people recommend prone row http://www.armyprt.com/bm.pix/prone-row.gifto train for pull ups. It's like our arch hold, but I doubt it's anywhere near pull ups.