This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE1 Alternative

Started by BlueLion, November 16, 2014 · 5 Replies · 237 Views

BlueLion

I cannot do deck squats because of ankle flexibility. What move should I do as an easier step, combined with ankle mobility work, to prepare me for deck squats?

WrldsGr8testDad

I struggled for a long time with deck squats.  I initially scaled them by putting my feet on the floor, but rolling backward on to a folded gymnastics mat (3 sections high).  When I could do 5 sets of 15 on 3 mats (weeks later), I unfolded the gymnastics mat so I was rolling backward on 2 sections.  Etc.  Eventually, I could forego the mat, but as I rolled forward and tried to stand, I would have to step back with one foot to keep from falling backward.  So then more weeks to fix that fault.  April to mid-September to get to 5 sets x 15 deck squats with no "stepback".  Good luck.

TANSTAAFL

The standard, approved method is using an elevated surface behind you to roll back on with your feet still on the floor/ground/non elevated surface. Panel mats work great since you can gradually decrease the elevation as you get more mobility.

 

Also try sitting in a deep squat at least 10min a day, should help some.

Jeremy Huston

Reaching forward with small dumbbells also helps.  Gradually decrease the weight as you get more mobile.

BlueLion

Thanks for the tips chaps.

BlueLion

Using an elevated surface is working well, thanks. As an aside, whilst sitting in a squat should I only go as low as I can whilst maintaining a straight back or go as deep as I can and let the back round?