Training with one arm

Started by Razz, July 7, 2009 · 10 Replies · 3,773 Views

Razz

Hey all

At the moment i'm having a shoulder problem and i can still do most slow workouts ( not too much dynamic stuff), but soon i'm having an operation in my shoulder and I ofcourse want to keep on training as much as possible in those 3 months where ill be doing rehab so basically I need all the ideas I can get!

So far I have:

One arm one leg pushups

one arm chinups ( just negatives for a start)

one arm ab-wheel

one arm handstands at the wall? ( have to see how much the physio allows me to do, if he doesen't allow going inverted ill do db overhead pressing)

one arm deadlifts

Open to all suggestions, but remember one of the arms will not be able to provide any assistance at all.

mobrep

I may not be as knowledgeable as some of the other guys, but would it not be wise to hold off on any upper body work until both arms can be used?

Continuing to train the uninjured arm while the other stagnates will lead to an imbalance. My suggestion would be, if needed and able without pain, to continue any core, back or leg work while the injury heals.

Regards.

Razz

Yes i have thought of this aswell, but came to the conclusion that i should keep on training as much as possible since it is proven that my strength in my injured arm will disappear slower like that. Thanks for the response though :D I'm open to hear what other people think about this aswell, but so far im still planning on working out :)

Joshua Naterman
Razz said:
Yes i have thought of this aswell, but came to the conclusion that i should keep on training as much as possible since it is proven that my strength in my injured arm will disappear slower like that. Thanks for the response though :D I'm open to hear what other people think about this aswell, but so far im still planning on working out :)

I was going to mention the carryover effect that training one side has on the other :) As long as you can do things safely, train the one arm! One other thing you could try is one arm dumbell cleans and snatches to an overhead hold. Or kettlebell swings if you don't like those. Just some more ideas for you!

gymrob

One arm rows could be another :) .

Razz

Thanks guys :D still open to more ideas, especially on how to maintain my straight arm strength

Joshua Naterman

Lower your rings and do single straight arm planche leans on a box or something, and same thing with the levers! Also, lay on your back and do straight arm holds with dumbells near your waist! That should help for sure :)

Joakim Anderson

Try one arm chin static holds with the arm bent 90 degrees (halfway through the ROM). I've been doing them lately, feels good.

Razz

Jocke i used to do those and they are brutal! :twisted: thanks for the many suggestions everyone :)

Søren

Hey Razz

I know that it hasn't got so much to do with gymnastic, but I thought you might find it interesting anyway. Once i read an article about a top bodybuilder who damaged one of his pecs very badly. He was very sceptical when his physiotherapist told him to keep training the other arm and just imagine that he was still training the other arm. Actually the result was surprisingly good, and even thoug i know that bb and gymnastic isn't the same at all, I thougt you might find it interesting. Even though the forum is in english and the article in danish, i'm gonna post the link anyways cause I know you irl and know you speak danish too 8)

http://www.bodybuilding.dk/artikler/div ... retur.html

Razz

Yep i read that article already 8) thanks anyways :D