This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Headstand fix form

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, November 14, 2014 · 3 Replies · 293 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all! I would like to ask you about my headstand. In the pic you can see that my form maybe is not perfect. I mean, I think that all my body should be vertical, but actually is a bit inclined.

I wonder if it is still okay. Otherwise how can I fix it? Should I place my hands closer/further? Or is the problem elsewhere? perhaps it is about how I place my head! A friend wrote me that I should hold headstand in the middle of my head, it will hurt a little in the beggining but I will avoid neck injuries. What do you think??

Thank you!

post-10847-141597091417_thumb.png

Jeremy Huston

It looks good to me.  Your body is a straight line. The course photo and video has a lean.  Lean is normal in a headstand -- it puts your center of gravity in the middle of the base formed by your head and hands.

 

IMG_2963.jpg

 

Head placement is a matter of personal preference.  I think most people balance closer to the forehead.  Keep your neck strong while you're on your head (don't relax it).

Alessandro Di Sanzo
tex0413 said:

It looks good to me. Your body is a straight line. The course photo and video has a lean. Lean is normal in a headstand -- it puts your center of gravity in the middle of the base formed by your head and hands.

IMG_2963.jpg

Head placement is a matter of personal preference. I think most people balance closer to the forehead. Keep your neck strong while you're on your head (don't relax it).

Thanks a lot tex0413!
Coach Sommer

You may use the top of the head if that is your preference.  I always teach my athletes to balance using the the curve where your forehead and the top of your head come together.  But I can't see that it matters much either way.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer