This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What advice would you have given yourself?

Started by Alex Tansel, November 14, 2014 · 23 Replies · 848 Views

Alex Tansel

If you could go back in time and meet the you who was just beginning foundation what advice and tips would you have given him/her o help them along the way.

Things you have learned that would have been great to know from the very beginning.

 

This can very general or ridiculously specific, just what you would have said to the novice you.

Murray Truelove

"Start stretching now you bloody idiot!"

Flexibility has held me back more than anything else, I'm finally making progress though.

dritar

This is more for H1, but for me it would be, "just because two days ago you were able to do shoulder dislocates at mastery width, doesn't mean that now you can do them with little warmup you fool".

Jon Douglas

'Slow down. There's more to get out of this than you think there is.'

Also

'Fewer days, more intensity. Optimal is not trying to train EVERYTHING.'

:)

BlueLion

I'm prone to analysis paralysis so for me it's Bruce Lee's 'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do'.

 

Mark Schoenhard

Post more form checks to this great forum.

Jeremy Huston

Trust the progressions.  Don't be in a hurry.  Don't start twisting squats with full ROM.

Sisyphus

I'd have said;

"Dude, the squats, deadlifts, power cleans, 10k tempo runs, sprints and duathlon brick sessions are not helping. You don't really enjoy them so just stop doing them. You'll be fine. Oh and buy shares in royal mail when its privatised - it's free money."

Krel

It would be :

"Change your definition of hard w :icon_twisted: rk and include connective tissue in the way you approach exercises."

Keilani Gutierrez

"less is more, man. start with F7 and 2 day Handstands, learn to depress your shoulders in pushups and in the Spl progressions, it will take the shoulder pain away and don't be an idiot and get ahead of yourself in the KoTF dislocate challenge, it will set back your progress shoulder mobility wise."

 

last of all "stretch those hip flexors, like your life depends on it"

Alexander Egebak

last of all "stretch those hip flexors, like your life depends on it"

 

Well said, well said!

bigB

I never should've quit climbing ropes after high school. (I probably would've kept climbing them if they've been available )

Where yourself every day but don't get attached to the results.

Keep your bodyweight under 210 pounds.

I should've kept doing my advance tuck front lever for 25 seconds rather than fully trusting foundation to keep my front lever conditioning high. My current best is four sets of 21 seconds open front lever.

Salivanth

Pay very close attention to the form videos. In fact, watch them every week.

Keilani Gutierrez
Salivanth said:

Pay very close attention to the form videos. In fact, watch them every week.

can you believe this happened to me today? such is life.

 

thanks for the reminder!

Alan Tseng

I would've wished that I moved at a much slower pace than the 3 month foundation cycles

Alex Tansel
tex0413 said:

Trust the progressions.  Don't be in a hurry.  Don't start twisting squats with full ROM.

Why not start these with full rom? 

Alex Tansel
Keilani Gutierrez said:

 

 

last of all "stretch those hip flexors, like your life depends on it"

 

Ooh any favourite stretches?

Keilani Gutierrez
Alex Tansel said:

Ooh any favourite stretches?

no magic bullet, only paying attention to details and form. ^_^
~Atticus

That there is a difference between "what's possible" and "what your body is able to do now," and that how long it takes your body to adapt to the "possible" will be different for everybody.

Jeremy Huston
Alex Tansel said:

Why not start these with full rom? 

I was too aggressive and tweaked my knee.  It took time to get back to healthy.

 

(This was meant as advice specifically to me with a history of bad knees.  Not necessarily to apply to others.)

dasede

Don't start xiaopengs with 5kg weight. :unsure:

Murray Truelove
dasede said:

Don't start xiaopengs with 5kg weight. :unsure:

If I remember correctly there was a thread soon after F1 came out where people were talking about using 10kg for these, so I thought I'd give it a go.... Didn't even get 1/4 of the way. Using about 3 kg now but looking to go a little next week.

Alexander Egebak
Murray Truelove said:

If I remember correctly there was a thread soon after F1 came out where people were talking about using 10kg for these, so I thought I'd give it a go.... Didn't even get 1/4 of the way. Using about 3 kg now but looking to go a little next week.

And I think 1.5 kg is hard enough... More would make me fail pushups

Murray Truelove

I'm stuck on HBP:PE3 so I've been doing them for a long time, plus the shoulder work from H1 really helps.