This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

ABH FORM CHECK

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), November 14, 2014 · 4 Replies · 126 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Hi Everyone,

 

I realize I've not got full ROM yet, but this is where I'm at after 5.5 months of GST for the ABH.

 

 

 

Any tips or feedback is much appreciated.

 

Thanks!

 

Cam

Jon Douglas

If there was more arch just below the neck/ t spine area I would say it looked pretty reasonable :)

Of course there is huge amounts of potential refinement on this element in terms of ROM and balance, but as a PE1 I am seeing most boxes ticked there :)

Edit for expansion;

I would also like to see more glute activation there. The form looks close but the majority of the lift is from the lower back-- pretty common error, you can see the way your back stays pretty straight from bottom of lats to shoulders. Fix that, with that sort of ROM (as a minimum) and you'll be gold.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

That's great feedback - Thanks Jon!

 

A question on glute activation... is it just a matter of concentrating on it, or is there something specific I can do to activate my glutes more?

 

Thanks again

 

Cam

 

 

Ps... not sure why this post has "Gymnastic Bodies Trainer" stickers... I am definitely not a GB Trainer :D

Sven Ravnstag

I've found that posterior pelvic tilt (or attempting to make this motion) does a great job of activating the glutes and de-emphasizing lumbar extension.  The strength of the glute contraction from an effort at PPT also seems to create a good foundation from which to extend the full length of the spine.  

 

It feels as though really firing up the glutes helps to activate the rest of the extensors involved in the movement, and performing a PPT at the first part of the exercise seems to be the best way to get good glute activation.  

 

If you can manage to incorporate the PPT/glute firing as well as actively trying to look at the ceiling (to get some of the upper back extension Jon was talking about), I think your arch will look even better.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

That's great, thank you Sven :) Will try those cues on my next workout.

 

Cheers,

 

Cam