This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Arch Body Holds - The Legs

Started by BlueLion, November 12, 2014 · 8 Replies · 457 Views

BlueLion

I am currently using the 3x12 second template for my arch body holds. When I'm performing these I can keep my feet together but my knees move apart. The more I try and lift the legs the more the knees move apart and my feet start to rotate outwards.

 

So, is having the knees locked together a necessary element of the move?

Alexander Egebak
BlueLion said:

I am currently using the 3x12 second template for my arch body holds. When I'm performing these I can keep my feet together but my knees move apart. The more I try and lift the legs the more the knees move apart and my feet start to rotate outwards.

 

So, is having the knees locked together a necessary element of the move?

No.

 

The knees being together is a result of having legs together but different anatomical proportions prevent some people (including me) from having knees together. And by the looks of it right now, they will never come together.

 

Keeping the feet together though (toes and heels) is a must.

 

Trying to move the knees together can work as a cue for correct performance of ABH.

BlueLion

That's relieving. It felt very unnatural. 

 

Just noticed the sticky post at the top of the forum detailing in depth how to achieve this move. Apologies for poor forum etiquette. Happy for a moderator to delete this thread if they so wish.

Jeremy Huston

 

Coach Sommer said:

It matters.  Knees and feet together.  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

 I interpret this as "Knees and feet together...or as close as anatomically possible."  I am bow-legged such that I cannot get my knees to touch with straight legs -- standing, sitting, laying, pike -- anything.  My bones just don't bend that way. 

 

I keep intending (and forgetting) to put a yoga block between my knees for ABH and ABR in my warmup to keep myself honest.

Salivanth

Is there a way I can find out if the position is anatomically impossible or merely beyond my current ability?

Jeremy Huston

https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/497888

 

Put your heels together and lock your knees.  If you can fit your fist between your knees, you're bowlegged.  

 

Even if you can't fit your fist all the way in there but there is separation, I would consider you bowlegged for the purpose of PE1 & 2.  However close you can get your legs when relaxed is how close you should keep them when working.

Salivanth
tex0413 said:

https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/497888

 

Put your heels together and lock your knees.  If you can fit your fist between your knees, you're bowlegged.  

 

Even if you can't fit your fist all the way in there but there is separation, I would consider you bowlegged for the purpose of PE1 & 2.  However close you can get your legs when relaxed is how close you should keep them when working.

Cheers. Well fortunately (Or unfortunately for the ABH :D) I can get the sides of my knees to touch when standing with ease.

Jon Douglas

A popular issue with this is the activation. Less lower back. More glute/hamstring :)

But that's like 95% of the advice required for abh anyway so....

Nick Roy

I actually just did these this morning. Stretching my hips out and doing some light glute activation helps alot. Legs snap back and you only really have to focus on pressing the knees together