Turkish get up and Bent press

Started by Roddy Cardona Valderrama, November 8, 2014 · 4 Replies · 5,479 Views

Roddy Cardona Valderrama

Hey everyone i have been wondering if there is any benefits to training the turkish get up along side gst.  Is there in carry over to handbalancing in terms of shoulder strength that can be developed from such a lift.  I for one have achieved a 90lb turkish get up last october while only training it for about 2 weeks i weighed about 160 at the time (this was before structured gst).  Also im curious if the bent press is worth learning some people claim that it can lead to back injuries, i would like to read your experience with this lifts and if there is any benefits/carry over to hand balancing/gst. 

Roddy Cardona Valderrama

90lb turkish get up right hand. I don't think I was able to do it with my left, I was also training with with barbells and got up to 85 lbs or so

VID_20140110_142220.mp4

ussjkenny

I think you'll get more out of the windmill than the bent press. Turkish get ups are fun. And a good exercise, but I'm doubting any real carryover to GST.

Just my two cents.

Jon Douglas

Why bother with get ups when you have wall runs and a million other shoulder stability drills with full bodyweight.

Why bother with bent press when you have side lever pulls.

Until you are way past any usefulness of these exercises (which is certainly not as simple as saying half bodyweight on each arm) IMO these are superior in results and the fun factor :)

That said if you want to do them, do them. Can't beat fun and testing yourself on benchmarks. I like to deadlift 1rm every six months or so just because I'm curious, not because its a productive part of my regular training at this particular stage :)

Roddy Cardona Valderrama

Thanks for the reply jon