Rope - Manilla or Polyplus

Started by David Fisher, November 7, 2014 · 13 Replies · 5,905 Views

David Fisher

Hi guys,

 

Should I buy a manila or polyplus rope for indoor climbing? Obviously polyplus is superior for outdoor climbing but it is not clear what is better for indoor climbing. I read in one or two of the other posts that polyplus can be slippery. What do you all think?

 

Also, if you have an opinion on the ropes that the website functional hand strength sells (see link below) please let me know.

 

http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/rope_climbing.html

 

Thanks,

David

 

brntj

knotandrope.com sells a manilla-like polypropylene rope. I've been very happy with mine, 1.5 inch and eye splice which made it simple to hang from my tree. I think it's less abrasive and easier on my hands than real manilla, and water resistant. Other synthetic rope on their site specifically come with a note that they are not recommended for climbing, due to their slipperiness.

Brent

strme

if i can choose, i go for manilla :)

bigB

I bought the polyplus. 

I think it was my best choice because it's kept attached to a tree outside.

 

It's pretty much impossible to climb unless I use Liquid Chalk.  

I like to think it's a safety feature to keep other people from climbing it.

Blairbob

I prefer manilla but manilla will shed all over the place. Sometimes you can get splinters from it.

That being said, I still prefer the smell and feel.

Hah... :facepalm:

Rayne-William

For indoor rope climbing....manilla. If you wish to do so, you can singe off the fuzziness with fire.

starling

I use 1'5"-2" cotton rope. It is light weight and easier on the hands than manilla. Cotton rope is the standard in circus. It'll be stretchy at first but will stretch out with regular use.

brntj

Have you tried using cotton rope outside? What's the longevity? It wouldn't be water resistant like the polypropylene-manilla rope but the tensile strength listed on knotandrope.com for 1.5 inch cotton rope is still 10,000 lbs. I like my polypro-manilla but maybe I'll try cotton when I move up to 2".

JonasPortugal

Do you use gloves with manilla ropes or bare hands?

Coach Sommer
JonasPortugal said:

Do you use gloves with manilla ropes or bare hands?

 

Always bare hands.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

brntj

I thought about trying gloves (it's getting cold and wet here in Ohio and I want to keep climbing). But I'm not convinced it's safe. Maybe someday when I'm a rope-master and a grip-meister, but for now I just wouldn't want to risk it 15 feet up when I'm getting tired. So safety might be an even bigger reason not to do it.

Ravn
brntj said:

I thought about trying gloves (it's getting cold and wet here in Ohio and I want to keep climbing). But I'm not convinced it's safe. Maybe someday when I'm a rope-master and a grip-meister, but for now I just wouldn't want to risk it 15 feet up when I'm getting tired. So safety might be an even bigger reason not to do it.

Your brain will make sure you don't fall. It knows big drops are unhealthy.

Keilani Gutierrez

you can always clamp onto the rope with your legs, if you fear for your safety.

legless rope climbs are for conditioning, not for you to get hurt, after all.

Rayne-William
Malik said:

So can I use manilla ropes outside or no?

Of course manilla rope can be used outdoors. If it rains you may want to take it down and store it in dry spot.

 

However leaving it up in the rain a few times won't cause mold to develop at first. Mold will however develop over time as the rope ages and it is left out year around.