This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Overactive levator scapulae?

Started by The Hansenator, November 4, 2014 · 5 Replies · 252 Views

The Hansenator

Are there any tips to get the levator scapulae to relax?

 

Mine on the left side is rather overactive and tries to help out more than it should. It kind of interferes with things like rows, pushups, planks, everything really. It's been this way for a long time. A physical therapist I worked with before said my lower traps weren't working hard enough. It's much better now than it used to be, I can actually do a pushup now, but it's still bothering me.

 

Thanks.

MT Nordic

Terrible answer, but the easy answer is to get H1.  Lots of work for the levators/traps there.  Otherwise focusing on handstands (wall or otherwise) and pushing shoulders equally up to the ears and holding will be helpful at equalizing out your asymmetries.  Cheers,

Fabio Genesoni

I post the link to a youtube video that helped me a lot to understand how the scapula should work, and I think it should relates to what you asked. I hope this will help.

I also suggest spending some time searching in the channel for other videos on the topic, because I think there is very interesting stuff and it's worth the time.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mve_pIrXGyo

The Hansenator

Thanks for the replies.

 

I have H1 and it has some great stuff in it but hasn't helped with this particular issue. It's not really a strength or mobility issue, it's more a problem with coordination, the levator just doesn't know when to stay out of it.

 

Fabio, thanks for the link. I'll watch it when I get home, YouTube is blocked at work.

Tait

Hey the reason your ls is kicking in is probably because your serratus ant. isnt working when it should be.  

try this and see if it improves over the next couple weeks.  You can do it every day if you want as its more of an activation exercise as well as strengthening. If you find it takes less to aggravate or you notice it less than you have made improvements and keep up that exercise.  
The Hansenator

Thanks for the link. I can't watch it at work but I'll take a look when I get home.

 

I kind of suspect my serratus is a bit weak. I had a surgery years ago which left a big scar going under my left pec to the armpit. I've noticed that I have problems tensing the muscles in the armpit area on that side. It probably contributes to the shoulder problems I've had for so long.

 

It's not like there's no muscle activity at all, it's just harder to turn them on. I've been making an effort to do different things with the upper traps relaxed so the other muscles don't get over shadowed and this seems to be helping. Like sPL/PE1 I've been doing with my hands on a counter. It's been a challenge doing this without the left upper trap tensing up but it's getting easier with practice.