This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Left Shoulder Injury / WU / RC&HBP

Started by HB_Ron, November 1, 2014 · 7 Replies · 227 Views

HB_Ron

Hey guys ,

In September I got injured from doing shoulder dislocations.

I was rehabbing it for 6 weeks and it seemed to me that my shoulder had almost been healed.  I was wrong. The pain occurred on a chilly day sharper than before.

 

So, I finally went to see an Orthopaedic. He gave me medicine(Arcoxia 90mg) .In 4 days I finish taking it and can start training again the day after, but with extreme caution.

 

Anyway, to cut long story short, I have a few questions for the experts here and for those who's been in a similar situation:

 

*Should I or should I NOT train RC &HBP PE's for the next month/two months/3 months?? The Orthopaedic and the lady that had done an ultrasound check to me, told not to do 'Bicep Curls', etc...

 

* What do you think of Dave's shoulder WU? Is the exercise at 3:51 healthy for the shoulders?

http://youtu.be/cMVVBUVBa3g?t=3m51s

 

I'd really appreciate help from you guys. Thanks!

 

 

P.S. When I'm back to the training again, I'll do only 1 to 3 reps with all PE1 exercises that involve the shoulders as a start... I can complete all exercises to mastery..I just want to be more careful now so that my shoulder could take the time to recover..

Sven Ravnstag

My guess is that if you were advised against doing biceps curls that would include the foundation exercise you listed.  This is more an interpretation of what you report that the Ortho said than a professional recommendation from me.

 

The exercise in the video looks similar to one I do with chest expanders every day.  I find it challenging to work with a lot of resistance through the full ROM of shoulder flexion, and I always do this as the last in a sequence of expander movements for that reason.  I'd suggest taking this one very easy if you're on the mend, if you decide to do it at all.

 

When recovering the best advice (and hardest to follow) is to do less than what you think you can get away with.  Especially with shoulders and elbows.  As you've already experienced, re-injury isn't worth rushing things.

Rayne-William

David Durant was an alternate for the 2008 U.S. Olympic gymnast team and I wouldn't be surprised some of that shoulder warm up is in the Ring series. On that note, hold off on following that warm up until your shoulder is healed completely.

 

Just because you have finished the anti-inflammatory prescription doesn't mean your shoulder is healed completely.

 

Although I am six months into allowing my left shoulder to heal from doing weighted shoulder dislocates with a grip that was too narrow. My shoulder still isn't fully healed and I have had to stop training straddle planche and stop lowering to upper arm support with the Hollow back press variation I am on.

HB_Ron
Sven Ravnstag said:

This is more an interpretation of what you report that the Ortho said than a professional recommendation from me.

 

 I'd suggest taking this one very easy if you're on the mend, if you decide to do it at all.

 

When recovering the best advice (and hardest to follow) is to do less than what you think you can get away with.  Especially with shoulders and elbows.  As you've already experienced, re-injury isn't worth rushing things.

I'm not native English speaker, so I didn't really understand the bold sentence..

You're right-it's better to do less than more.

 

Rayne-William said:

On that note, hold on following that warm up until your shoulder is healed completely.

 

Just because you have finished the anti-inflammatory prescription doesn't mean your shoulder is healed completely.

 

Although I am six months into allowing my left shoulder to heal from doing weighted shoulder dislocates with a grip that was too narrow. My shoulder still isn't fully healed and I have had to stop training straddle planche and stop lowering to upper arm support with the Hollow back press variation I am on.

Thanks for the note Rayne. I will listen to you guys and won't do this for until it heals.

I hope we fully recover from it.  I did dislocates with narrow grip too. Seems like we suffer from the same reason..

 

What warm up do you do/recommend doing instead and what things do you do for a faster recovery from an injury? I started running every other day for the purpose of active recovery. Also I put a heating pillow when it's freezing.

Rayne-William
HB_Ron said:

Thanks for the note Rayne. I will listen to you guys and won't do this until it heals.

I hope we fully recover from it.  I did dislocates with narrow grip too. Seems like we suffer from the same reason..

 

What warm up do you do/recommend doing instead and what things do you do for a faster recovery from an injury? I started running every other day for the purpose of active recovery. Also I put a heating pillow when it's freezing.

Personally speaking my left shoulder was partially dislocated to begin with and the weighted shoulder dislocates with a under grip spacing that was too narrow made things worse. A visit to the chiropractor fixed the subluxation in my shoulder and my body took over with the tendon repair.

 

I am at the point where I get to rehabilitate my left shoulder so that it is as strong as my right shoulder.  Right now I am doing HBP/PE2>iM and HBP/PE3>iM with about about 1.36kg (3 lb) and in a few more weeks I am moving up to about 2.27kg( 5 lb ).

 

I might add the warm up David Durant demonstrated after I get up to 4.54kg (10lb) - 6.8kg (15lb) or after I finish Foundation 2. 

Jeremy Huston
HB_Ron said:

 

*Should I or should I NOT train RC &HBP PE's for the next month/two months/3 months?? The Orthopaedic and the lady that had done an ultrasound check to me, told not to do 'Bicep Curls', etc...

 

How about if you show them the videos and ask their opinion?

HB_Ron
tex0413 said:

How about if you show them the videos and ask their opinion?

I'm trying to find another Orthopaedic becuase I don't like this one. He didn't really help with my situation. I tried to show him some exercises, but he didn't really say if I should or shouldn't do them..  <_<

Chris Garay
Rayne-William said:

Personally speaking my left shoulder was partially dislocated to begin with and the weighted shoulder dislocates with a under grip spacing that was too narrow made things worse. A visit to the chiropractor fixed the subluxation in my shoulder and my body took over with the tendon repair.

 

Hey Rayne, just curious, but how did your chiropractor fix the subluxation in your shoulder?! I might be dealing with a similar situation, so I'm all ears!