I have been in the gym today and after class I did my regular strength stuff. I always go till failure. Always. If I do dips, I can do 15 easily, start shaking heavily at 20 and go till failure which is 23 at the moment. It is like that with pretty much all I do. 7 pull-ups easily, 9 shaking and 11 until I can't do anymore.
Anyways, a guy who is pretty good started a conversation with me. He asked why I always did my exercises until failure? Of course because I want to get stronger??
Anyways, he told me that he used to do that all the time. But then he fried his CNS.
He said it all started with intense thirst, nervousness and sleeplessness at night. Then he got so tired, no matter how much he slept he was like drunk. He couldn't tumble anymore, he said he got dizzy as soon as he tried to. All he could do was walking slowly.
It took him 2 weeks of doing nothing until he was able to train again. He said he was also very hungry but felt sick the same time.
During his "career" he went through this for a few times.
Can this be true? Is there really such a thing as overtrainig? How does a fried CNS feel? And should I stop training until failure 3 times a week?