This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ideal Weight for a Weighted Bar?

Started by Anantananda Das, October 31, 2014 · 2 Replies · 272 Views

Anantananda Das

Hello!

 

First post! I am starting the HS/PE2>IM and see that there are a lot of upcoming exercises with weighted bars. I am currently working abroad in India and don't have any equipment with me except some rings I brought over.

 

For the first investment in equipment I was looking to get a good weighted bar that I could use for HS/PE2>IM and subsequent progressions in the Handstand series. What is a good weight for the bar?

 

Available to purchase online in India is a 3 kg or a 4 kg weight trainer bar. If I need to go heaver, I could try to look around and get a 5 ft olympic bar which will be heavier -- at least 6-7 kg. Which weight do you recommend 3 KG, 4 KG, or 7 KG?

Coach Sommer

I would recommend starting with the 3kg bar.  If the 3kg bar ends up being too heavy in the beginning, then simply add weight to a wooden dowel and gradually work your way up to the 3kg.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Anantananda Das

Thanks Coach!