This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE3-how?

Started by BertieW, October 27, 2014 · 11 Replies · 465 Views

BertieW

Hi,

 

just started on PE3. I'm able to hold PE2, the normal headstand, for over 60 seconds, quite solidly. However, I can't even get into position for PE3, the forearm headstand. All I'm managing is a succession of donkey kicks that either come crashing down or make me roll over. 

 

Is it just a case of getting used to it, or is there some progression I'm missing?

 

And, while I'm working on my crashes/rolls, should I be doing the mobility alongside?

 

Thanks!

Jeremy Huston

I had trouble with this too at first.  It was partially due to tightness/lack of activation in my lats/triceps/shoulders, and partially a balance/fear issue.  Make sure you're actually using your elbows to help with the balance and not just trying to rest on your head.

 

Give it a try with your back toward a wall so you can catch yourself.  Once you get a feel for the balance, move a foot or 2 away from the wall.  You'll still be able to catch yourself if you fall over, but you'll also be able to really gain confidence.

 

Once you get a feel for PE3, it's a lot of fun -- a lot more fun than a regular headstand and not nearly as hard as a handstand.

Richard Sassoon

I can relate to those problems, and I can share my own topi about it: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/15746-pe3what-to-do/

There are some nice tips over there, but what I did essentially was increasing my handstand practice from 2 to 3 times a week and several sets to get the form down. So I would get into position against the wall and bring one tucked leg up and then the other. That was already a challenge to reach the balance point in a tucked position.

After I started enganging more my lats and traps I got more stable and started holding the tucked position for time. My next progression was to be in a sort of tailor pose, before going to straddle. Finally I started lifting both my legs and then I had several tumbles and crashes on the wall hahaha... but it was also a matter of proper core activation to keep the legs up and steady. Mindfully thinking about the core and proper posterio pelvic tilt helped me a lot. It took me about 3 months from not being able to even begin the movmenet to get to mastery.

Another video that helped: https://vimeo.com/79619483

 

And I agree that it gets fun after a while and I keep it in my warm up trying to improve my body line and working on some negatives on the way down. I still want to be able to press up, which has proven pretty hard... :S

 

Good luck!

BertieW

Thanks guys! Wall work it is for a while then. Hopefully will stop me screwing my neck up with the roll-overs. 

 

(and I did look for another thread Richard, was amazed no one else was having the same issue, so am grateful for you linking to that one, thanks)

 

<finding nemo>just keep working, just keep working</nemo>

wamarler

Personally I LOVED this journey. I was in the exact same situation you were in; totally solid HS/PE2, couldn't hold HS/PE3 for 6 seconds (let alone 12!). 

 

2-3 weeks of training where my back was to a wall so I wouldn't topple forward, assisting with my feet and not counting the set if I touched my feet and I got it. It was very, very satisfying. 

Jeremy Huston
BertieW said:

Hopefully will stop me screwing my neck up with the roll-overs. 

When you do roll, be sure to tuck your chin and give a little push with your hands to ease the pressure on your head & neck.

BertieW

Two weeks of preparatory work, and it seems to be coming together. The 'tuck' didn;t work for me, tended to make me roll over more. So going with the one leg up, and then trying to float the other leg up to join it. 

 

Getting there!

Rayne-William

Here read this previous post in another thread on the same subject.

Alessandro Mainente

I can provide my way, I guarantee to you that if you follow the picture evolution without making the 2 mistakes you will reach a solid forearmsstand. I use this methodology with my kids in the gym to fix the way to lift the legs. 

basically you need to learn that:

-lift the bent legs with heels on ass with a strong PPT  until the upper legs bone is parallel to the ground

-the while holding the PPT use the picture as a reference

 

post-1151-0-03300200-1416263493_thumb.pn

Keilani Gutierrez
alex87 said:

I can provide my way, I guarantee to you that if you follow the picture evolution without making the 2 mistakes you will reach a solid forearmsstand. I use this methodology with my kids in the gym to fix the way to lift the legs. 

basically you need to learn that:

-lift the bent legs with heels on ass with a strong PPT  until the upper legs bone is parallel to the ground

-the while holding the PPT use the picture as a reference

 

attachicon.giffor hs.png

your drawings are mad genius and funny. it kind of reminds me of Kuchiki Rukia's drawings in bleach with the bunnies. 

TMGordon

First, thanks to everyone for sharing their experience. 

 

I too am having issues. I just finished my 2nd week with the forearm headstand. At first it was because I am 230lbs, but I managed to get up on my last session of week 1. On week 2 however, I found myself doing bad Kung Fu rolls instead of the headstand. I was hesitant to use the wall, but now that there other kids doing it I will fold to peer pressure. 

 

Are there any suggestions on an in between pose? Maybe a HS2.5 of sorts? I want to maximize this pose, but I don't enjoy flopping. 

wamarler

i would recommend just using the wall, but trying not to (if that makes sense). Try kicking up and getting vertical without using the wall, but if you flop over, that's ok. Use the wall to get stable, then bring your feet off the wall and start timing from then. That's what I did anyway. Give it time and patience; for me, achieving the first few seconds of stability was the hard part. Once I got that, longer hold times came with the schedule. I'm 6'3 230lbs (though about 223 when I was working on mastering this element).