This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Questions on intensity and handstand program

Started by Kasper, October 27, 2014 · 3 Replies · 171 Views

Kasper

Hi!

 

I just got the F1 program. Yesterday I tested for mastery in FL1, sPL1, HBP1 and  RC1. I managed all these exercises with mobility as rest and about a minute rest between exercises. However my mobility need some work and my bent hollow body hold is shaking too much.

 

Therefore I considered starting at week 9, 3-4 times a week (I'll add the extra day if I'm rested on Sunday). However I read how important it is to push yourself, and therefore I wondered if it's better to keep doing the mastery sets each time instead?

 

My second question is regarding Handstand One. Currently I think following F1 and doing wall runs (1-2 times a week) will develop the strength and mobility needed for a good handstand. Am I fooling myself and missing out on some great exercises and mobility work? Especially my shoulders and back are so stiff I can't even do the wall extensions lying on the floor, however I already feel that F1 is loosening things up.

 

That's all for now. Thanks for reading!

Kasper   

 

 

Jeremy Huston

Since you're new to this, start at week 9 for those elements.  You're getting ready to throw a lot of work at your body that it's not used to. Trust us, you'll be pushing hard.  Repeating week 11 for 3 weeks 3-4 times a week could be pushing too hard right off the bat.  Use your judgment though -- if you come from a powerlifting background and bench 600 lbs, then obviously HBP PE1 is not going to be too much volume.

 

Regarding H1 -- follow the program.  If you think you have a good reason to add wall runs, discuss it in the H1 forum.

Kasper

I haven't bought H1 yet. Otherwise I'd follow the program of course. I have a climbing background, therefore I'm used to body weight training and static positions. However I'm not used to holding 30+ seconds.. Maybe I'll try the master sets one week and see how fatigued I get. 

Joseph Morris

I also climb, and had an ugly "press-to-handstand" (frog stand pressing to elbows locked out and straddled legs swaying for 1-2 secs before following) when I started F1/H1. H1 has a lot of wrist/finger prep, which is important for the serious handstand work. Where I have the mobility, I haven't found the wrist prep too difficult (though I have a half-frozen finger due to a stupid knife trick from a few years ago), but I think it will be important for the handstand stuff and for when I return to powerlifting and weightlifting more seriously. The iMs for the PEs are something else. It's easy for me to get my shoulders into a good snatch/overhead squat position, to do (something like) skin-the-cat, etc. But HS/PE2>iM pretty much destroyed all that overconfidence I had. I'm glad I'm doing it.