This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Warm-ups, Deadlifts, and Dislocates - Oh my!

Started by DAMIEN DEL RUSSO, October 26, 2014 · 7 Replies · 470 Views

DAMIEN DEL RUSSO

I'm in week 5 of GB Foundation 1 + Handstand 1, one of the "old guys" (41) with decent strength but poor mobility.

 

In listening to all of Coach Sommer's podcasts, I've heard him discuss 3 things that I haven't seen as part of the training program.

 

Warm-Up: Coach refers to pre-workout warm-up as part of the seminar, and how the newbies took 1.5 hours and it looked like Vietnam. What's the warm-up for F1 + HS1? I usually do some arm circles and start right in - should I be doing more?

 

Deadlifts: Coach spoke a couple times about including sets of 3 deadlifts in the warm-up, and not changing the load for 10-12 weeks. Sounds like a great protocol - when do I do it? Again, I haven't seen anything about deadlifts or any other barbell type exercises in F1 + HS1. I have a barbell right here...

 

Weighted Dislocates: Coach also discusses these in the podcasts, especially with Robb Wolf. I even got a lightly weighted bar to do some. How many and how often? I'm soooo inflexible the bar almost hits my head, so I should probably get started NOW if I'll need the flexibility/mobility later. Protocol?

 

Thanks!

Damien

Coach Sommer

- The basic warmup protocol is outlined in the front end of the Foundation Courses.

 

- The deadlift protocol discussed was for my competitive athletes and for advanced GB students; not for beginners in Foundation One.

 

- Weighted dislocates are thoroughly discussed in both H1 and the H1 private forum.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

altiplanico

Coach,

 

I`ve found a new love in incorporating weighted dislocates and Jef. Curls complimentary to my H1 workout.

 

Before I proceed I must say I have literally dislocated my right shoulder twice in different sports accidents, so just the term "dislocate" sounded frightening before attempting the exercise itself. Now after just 3 months of 3 x week dislocates my shoulder feels like it hasn´t in 15 years. I am so thankful for having found this protocol.

 

I do both dislocates and inlocates, is this right or should I do just dislocates?

 

The weight (8kg) is not so much problem but the width is, currently 3 fists width outside of hips. Can I increase weight or should I wait until 1,5 fist width outside hips as in mastery? What is more beneficial weight or width?

 

I do 5 x 5 reps as in the iM. Is this ok or is there another suggestion for sets and reps?

 

Thanks and friendly regards.

 

 

trw

Generally protocol is don't up the weight until mastery ROM is achieved. After that point, increase weight at a wider grip again and work back down. Repeat until you can dislocate 45 pounds at mastery ROM, but don't rush it. Can you get closer to mastery ROM with less than 8kg?

 

I think I've seen the 5 x 5 scheme recommended around here, so you're probably good there.

altiplanico

thanks trw! 

I increased to 8 kg when I had good ROM with 6,5 kg. Every increase in weight have felt great on the shoulders but going to a narrow grip less comfortable.

 

I will chill out then at 8 kg for a while.  It feels great with that anyway.

 

But still searching for information on the inlocates.

 

friendly regards

Keegan

What do you mean by "should I also do inlocates"? Are you letting go of the bar once it gets behind your back and resetting from the front on each rep? If you are bringing the bar back to the front (reversing the action), then to my understanding you are already doing "inlocates".

Keilani Gutierrez

dislocates = pullup or overgrip

inlocates = dorsal grip (?)

altiplanico

yes, sorry by not being clear about that. By inlocate I meant the undergrip dislocate starting from the back as in HS/PE6>iM.

 

Currently I am keeping both in my dislocate training. Is this advisable or just the standard overgrip dislocate?

 

Thanks mate!