I've just picked up these off ebay:
Not in perfect condition by any means, but they have the potential to be just what I need for numerous Foundation and Handstand elements. Solid ash (I think). There are a few checks in the rungs and the grain is raised, which suggests they may have been stored somewhere damp. That said, they do seem fairly sound. Apparently they came out of a school and then the previous owner used them to display pairs of jeans on in her shop. She was amazed to learn that I was actually going to use them for gymnastics!
I'm planning to give them a good rub down followed by a couple of coats of danish oil. I'll secure any loose rungs and replace the rusty screws. I plan to put a piece of plywood across the top and across the bottom, which will both increase the rigidity and give me something to mount them to the wall with.
Since these are only 180cm high, I'm trying to work out the best set-up without compromising versatility. If I mount them right next to the floor then they will be too low for leg lifts. One solution would be to mount a separate pull-up bar above them. Alternatively I could mount them a foot or so off the floor and take out a rung or two to allow me to perform leg lifts comfortably by hanging from the top rung. I don't know if I would be sacrificing anything by not having the bottom rung right next to the floor though. Any advice/conjecture appreciated ![]()