Transition problems

Started by Fryk, July 3, 2009 · 8 Replies · 2,129 Views

Fryk

Hey

After the last cycle I am now trying to transition in the front lever. Yesterday I had the opportunity to record it.

The Front Lever. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. This is my four attempts from yesterday, really awful all of them.

There is of course the possibility that I am just to weak at the moment. However I have been doing the adv. tuck for a while and can hold it for more than 15 seconds.

The planche. As far as I can see the arms are straight and the hips are over the shoulders.

The L-sit. Just recently started this static.

Hayden Whealing

I can hold an adv. tuck front lever for 30 to 35 seconds and I'm at the same stage as you with the one leg tucked and one leg straight front lever yet either. :cry:

Planch and L-sit look good

Blairbob

Simply put, FL isn't easy.

Keep on working the one leg FL or working them as negatives. I don't like straddle because it's too easy for the hips to be pike and otherwise it's just bloody hard to keep open hips. 1/2 lay is insanely hard and not something I can work with right now.

Even with the 1 legs, I or Erik, my athlete who can FL typically will tend to drop the hips and pike in the FL. You have to be very mindful about it and trying to be a bit high is probably better in the training for now rather than allowing a pike.

Hayden Whealing

To test wether you have the core strength for a one leg FL, try doing body levers viewtopic.php?f=13&t=509 in the one leg FL position. If you can hold the position where your body is parallel to the ground without any arch on your back, you are probably strong enough core wise to do the one leg FL and its your back and shoulders that need to be stronger which is my situation

Joshua Naterman
Blairbob said:
Simply put, FL isn't easy.

Keep on working the one leg FL or working them as negatives. I don't like straddle because it's too easy for the hips to be pike and otherwise it's just bloody hard to keep open hips. 1/2 lay is insanely hard and not something I can work with right now.

Even with the 1 legs, I or Erik, my athlete who can FL typically will tend to drop the hips and pike in the FL. You have to be very mindful about it and trying to be a bit high is probably better in the training for now rather than allowing a pike.

Yea, it's easy to pike. I found that for me to do the more advanced front levers correctly I have to start in inverted hang, hollow my body, concentrating on the hips, extend my legs straight without losing the hollow, and lower from there, just paying attention to my hollow. I was getting frustrated because I started piking out of nowhere. I was pretty unhappy about that, but now I have it fixed. Whew. The one leg is a decent transition, but it's a LOT easier than the straddle.

Fryk

I think that is a very good suggestion and I will definitely try it out.

At the very least it will give me an idea on how to proceed. Thanks again.

Joshua Naterman

Looking forward to hearing about your progress! I love the under the porch set-up, by the way. I'm going to do something similar at my parents' house up in the mountains.

David Picó García

Try move your legs like bicycling, is a good variation. Anyway 15 secs of adv FL isn't to much, try to work at least until 30 secs and then start doing negatives from full FL or one leg FL. and try some FL pull ups in its easier position, trying to completely extend your arms at the bottom.

With one leg it's very easy to pike a little bit. Even at full front lever i found that when you think you are straigth, there's still a bit of pike. As coach said if you pike, probably the weak link are abs. As blairbob said Straddle is the position where due the lack of flexibility we tend to pike more, but i also find that even piking you work extremely the abs in that position.

Fryk
slizzardman said:
Looking forward to hearing about your progress! I love the under the porch set-up, by the way. I'm going to do something similar at my parents' house up in the mountains.

I guess you mean my parents garage :D It is pretty good, better than my normal setup is. Though I prefer to mount the rings higher, so I can have a fully extend arm hang without touching the ground. Though I rarely have that possibility.

As far as my transitioning goes everything seems to be out of schedule. I will draw a line in the sand, and do a new cycle. Besides going back to the Adv. tuck FL will mean I get some quality work, instead of failing constantly. Though the timing is awful since I am 3-4 weeks in my current 8 week schedule, but there doesn't seem to be much point in continuing to fail for another month.