This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

NEW To the world of gymnastics

Started by strongman, October 26, 2014 · 8 Replies · 307 Views

strongman

 hello all hope you are all well. I am absolutely new to the World of Gymnastics, mostly to gymnastics bodies.

 

I have no back ground in gymnastics what so ever and i hope I don't sound ignorant. I have brought the new H1 And F1 course and i am interested in the courses very much and I would love to develop an all round stronger body.  At the moment I currently attend the gym (sort of gym junkie) and i have various goals i would like to achieve, however I don't want to jeopardize my ability to become supple, flexible  and strong. if there is a way i can introduce this program into my current training then thats fine. If not then let me know a better way of training. I'm open to new Ideas

 

 

If any one can give me some small directions or links to topics that already have been discussed please let me know so i don't repeat the same thing twice.

 

I SERIOUSLY LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU GUYS :D:)

vinca_minor

I'm pretty new, too, and have spent the last couple of weeks browsing the entire Foundation 1 and Headstand 1 forums from the beginning.   I pretty much just read the threads that looked interesting right now, but I've gotten a good overview of what to look out for, and which PEs and iMs will be particularly "interesting".

 

Also, the sticky threads, since the mods deemed them to be so important that people shouldn't have to go digging.

 

If you know what you're looking for, search mostly works, as long as you don't look for "F7": there's a 3 character minimum.

Jeremy Huston

Without knowing what your specific goals are, it's hard to give a specific answer.  Are you doing bodybuilding, power lifting, olympic lifting, training for a marathon, 100 m dash, triathlon, etc.?

 

If you're doing strength work...the general advice is to focus on Foundation and either put your other work on hold or in maintenance mode.

 

If you're doing endurance work...it's probably just a matter of carving out time in your training to do Foundation.  You probably would also want to put your other training in more of a maintenance mode and avoid your harder workouts (intervals, sprints, long runs, etc.)

 

The main thing is to figure out where your priorities really are, and then make your workouts reflect those priorities.  Listen to your body, keep track of your progress in all areas, and adjust accordingly.

Joseph Morris

I'll share my workout schedule. I have continued working to increase my strength and conditioning through other modalities, and that's been consistent since I started F1/H1 in early August. 

 

MWF morning: F1

TR morning: H1

WSa afternoon: very slow run (ramping up distance 1x/month, so currently doing 3mi on W and 4mi on Sa; next month will be 4/4)

M afternoon: 5/3/1 strict press

TF: light assistance work, posterior chain focus

R afternoon: 5/3/1 back squat

 

I also do 1-2 sets of pull-ups at school, but I'm disproportionately strong at pull-ups and like to climb, and I only introduced them in after two microcycles of GB/GST.

 

The only place I'm sticking in GB is push-ups, which have always been challenging for me. Otherwise I'm very deliberately doing slow progressions and getting in my deload weeks. I'm also sleeping as much as I can (7-9 hours pretty reliably) and being careful not to be too stupid. 

 

To be clear: this is absolutely not the intent of the GB programming and so I'm "off program" as it were, but I use my strength enough that I wasn't willing to lose much just to do GST. This compromise has been working well for me. YMMV.

Jeremy Huston
Joseph Morris said:

 

To be clear: this is absolutely not the intent of the GB programming and so I'm "off program" as it were, but I use my strength enough that I wasn't willing to lose much just to do GST. This compromise has been working well for me. YMMV.

I think you have your answer :)  

 

Foundation will complement what you're doing very well.  It will help you get supple, flexible, and strong.  You'll get some pretty awesome skills along the way.  And lets face it, HS Pushups are a lot more fun than military presses.  And Planche Pushups are more fun than bench presses.  And who wants to do crunches when you can work toward a manna?

Joseph Morris
tex0413 said:

I think you have your answer :)

Just to be clear, I'm not OP. I just wanted to give him an example of how I mix my barbell strength goals, my conditioning goals, and my GST work. 

strongman
tex0413 said:

Without knowing what your specific goals are, it's hard to give a specific answer.  Are you doing bodybuilding, power lifting, olympic lifting, training for a marathon, 100 m dash, triathlon, etc.?

 

If you're doing strength work...the general advice is to focus on Foundation and either put your other work on hold or in maintenance mode.

 

If you're doing endurance work...it's probably just a matter of carving out time in your training to do Foundation.  You probably would also want to put your other training in more of a maintenance mode and avoid your harder workouts (intervals, sprints, long runs, etc.)

 

The main thing is to figure out where your priorities really are, and then make your workouts reflect those priorities.  Listen to your body, keep track of your progress in all areas, and adjust accordingly.

 

 

Joseph Morris said:

I'll share my workout schedule. I have continued working to increase my strength and conditioning through other modalities, and that's been consistent since I started F1/H1 in early August. 

 

MWF morning: F1

TR morning: H1

WSa afternoon: very slow run (ramping up distance 1x/month, so currently doing 3mi on W and 4mi on Sa; next month will be 4/4)

M afternoon: 5/3/1 strict press

TF: light assistance work, posterior chain focus

R afternoon: 5/3/1 back squat

 

I also do 1-2 sets of pull-ups at school, but I'm disproportionately strong at pull-ups and like to climb, and I only introduced them in after two microcycles of GB/GST.

 

The only place I'm sticking in GB is push-ups, which have always been challenging for me. Otherwise I'm very deliberately doing slow progressions and getting in my deload weeks. I'm also sleeping as much as I can (7-9 hours pretty reliably) and being careful not to be too stupid. 

 

To be clear: this is absolutely not the intent of the GB programming and so I'm "off program" as it were, but I use my strength enough that I wasn't willing to lose much just to do GST. This compromise has been working well for me. YMMV.

 

 

tex0413 said:

I think you have your answer :)

 

Foundation will complement what you're doing very well.  It will help you get supple, flexible, and strong.  You'll get some pretty awesome skills along the way.  And lets face it, HS Pushups are a lot more fun than military presses.  And Planche Pushups are more fun than bench presses.  And who wants to do crunches when you can work toward a manna?

thanks for the replies that was quick but mine being slow.

 

Well what I would like to achieve is phenomenal flexibility gain size and  would also like to master each of the move on F1 and my handstand balance. At the moment I dont have any particular sport at the moment but I am going to take up sprinting. The reason why im doing gymnastics is because of its longtivity  and TRUE STRENGTH. 

 

@tex0413 

I would like to put on some muscle  aswell as master the f1 and h1 series so that i can progress on further. I have been afraid to start this course because I have always wanted to put on some size and build muscle. but the only thing is with gymnastics its longterm and it will take a little time to see some results. I am open minded and i will work hard to achieving my goals. i want to kick my ego to the curve and try something that will develope me greatly.

 

How should I train and how long for and how many days per week? 

 

I have 6 days to train.

 

I want to excel in all of them. (the below)

 

  • Cardiovascular / respiratory endurance - gathering, processing, and delivering oxygen.
  • Stamina - processing, delivering, storing, and utilising energy.
  • Strength - application of force by muscle(s).
  • Flexibility - maximising the range of motion at a given joint.
  • Power - application of maximum force in minimum time by muscles.
  • Speed - minimising the time cycle of a repeated movement.
  • Coordination - combination of several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
  • Agility - minimising transition time from one movement pattern to another.
  • Balance - controlling the placement of the bodies centre of gravity in relation to its support base.
  • Accuracy - controlling movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.

 

 

But most of all i want to be realistic  :mellow:

strongman

I just need to make a start if anything.

 

hey Tex and Morris. first of all what i would like to acheive is all the skills in H1 and F1 

I havent got any sports underneath my belt except this (gymnastics) overall i just want to improve in all of the aspects i.e shoulder flexibility, splits, everything.I will be taking up gymnastics, sprinting/dash and a martial art.I would like to develope a very good physique, flexibilty and strength to go with it. at the moment i do go to the gym to train and i do the normal workouts and thats pretty much about it.

how long will i need to train for and how will i mix it up so that i can reach my goals in good time because this is going to be very tricky.

 

i have 6 days of training.

 

 

Jeremy Huston
strongman said:

 

I have 6 days to train.

 

I want to excel in all of them. (the below)

 

  • Cardiovascular / respiratory endurance - 5x60s SL/PE2
  • Stamina - 5x60s SL/PE2, 5x60s FL/PE2, 5x60s SPL/PE2, 5x15r HBP/PE2 with little rest
  • Strength - duh
  • Flexibility - Integrated Mobility
  • Power - Not foundation
  • Speed - Not foundation
  • Coordination - Deck Squats, Twisting Squats, 
  • Agility - Not foundation
  • Balance - Handstand
  • Accuracy - Handstand

But most of all i want to be realistic  :mellow:

This is definitely realistic.  F1 and H1 will get you a long way toward your goals -- probably a more rounded athlete than 80% of the people at your gym.  If you do the exercises with as little rest as possible, it definitely helps with cardio and stamina even though it's "strength" training.  And if you throw a little cardio work in there, you're golden.  I believe power will come more in F3 but I haven't seen it yet.

 

An example template:

 

Day 1 - Foundation Split (4 exercises)

Day 2 - Handstand / Easy Cardio

Day 3 - Foundation Split (3 exercises) / High intensity interval work (jump rope, sprints, burpees)

Day 4 - Handstand

Day 5 - Foundation Split (4 exercises)

Day 6 - Martial Arts