This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

mana tuck ups

Started by Bret Kennedy, October 26, 2014 · 7 Replies · 553 Views

Bret Kennedy

I took a browse through the introduction videos and with the tuck ups I notice that the first part of the body to move is the torso. I don't want to read too much into it but going off my current ability and firm I think that there is a reason for this?

Are we ensuring that it us initiated with the core/inner unit and not the hip flexors by doing this?

Rayne-William

Don't over analyze a tuck position. Most of, if not all of, the manna preparatory element work you do is for strengthening your core.

 

The videos are there to show the full range of motion for at least one complete repetition.

Bret Kennedy

ThaThanks for the reply.I get not to analyse but in sit up type movements it is easy for the hip flexors to become facilitated a take over the role I tended for the core, this leads to bigger problems such as forward head and lowered sternum, so I want to be critical of my movements.. It Is also easy to use this movement to throw your torso up instead of just using the core, and I feel the difference which is why I was curious.

LateStarter@46

I find that doing a FL day before a MN day helps - the residual soreness in the core from FL work gets activated when doing MN work properly.

Rayne-William
Bret Kennedy said:

ThaThanks for the reply.I get not to analyse but in sit up type movements it is easy for the hip flexors to become facilitated a take over the role I tended for the core, this leads to bigger problems such as forward head and lowered sternum, so I want to be critical of my movements.. It Is also easy to use this movement to throw your torso up instead of just using the core, and I feel the difference which is why I was curious.

Between throwing your torso up and using your core to lift your torso. Do the harder one, to strengthen your core muscles.

Sven Ravnstag

I tend towards anterior pelvic tilt, and my low back mobility is limited when it comes to flexion, so getting the knees to the chest consistently has been a challenge for me.  This is particular so if my low back is especially tight.  

 

One thing I've found to help with activation is to make sure I start the curl up process of the lower body as low and as early as possible.  I think because of lower lumbar flexion deficiency I tend to bring the legs up in a bigger arc than is necessary or ideal, and tightening up this arc seems to help me lock in the lower lumbar flexion/pelvic flexion necessary to get the full ROM.

 

All arch and no flexion in the lumbars and all flexion no arch in the thoracics.  Perfect recipe for long terms relationships with MN/PE1 and SL/PE1...

john_c
Zach Armijo said:

Keep in mind to make sure the legs and torso ascend and descend at the same time during the rep. :)

In the F1 assessment video the athlete definitely moves the torso first which is is different to the course video and what you state. 

 

Rayne-William said:

Don't over analyze a tuck position. Most of, if not all of, the manna preparatory element work you do is for strengthening your core.

 

The videos are there to show the full range of motion for at least one complete repetition.

Sounds about right to me. 

On the mobility element the athlete doesn't twist the weight anywhere as much as the athlete in the course video which in my mind makes it a little easier.

Coach Sommer

Whenever there is an inconsistency between the assessment video and the course videos, the course videos should be considered the gold standard.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer