This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pe1 handstand mobility exercise

Started by Bret Kennedy, October 26, 2014 · 6 Replies · 299 Views

Bret Kennedy

I am able to use a 15kg bar sitting down. I am able to move my hands and arms behind me as in the video, but my lower back does start to round, which I can feel. Is this exercise aimed at inceasing a stretch through the pec muslces, front delt and over all increasing the stretch across the chest. There seems to be a strength component relating to an isometric hold that engages the scapula in a retracted position, is this again what we are aiming for in this? 


 


thanks for any insights.


bret


thecolin

You're trying to pull the arms behind the head without any arch in the back, like a good handstand. You should be actively pulling the ribs into your hips while you pull back with your arms without externally rotating the shoulders (it looks like he's doing it in the video, but don't do it). Pulling the rib cage in the opposite direction of the arms will create the stretch you're looking for.

 

I'd bet that to do this properly at the start, you'll have to use about 10% of the weight you're currently using.

Bret Kennedy

I will look into this further, and will drop the weight.

 

I will be doing week 5 this week, so I might throw up progress videos and form checks.

 

I dont' really understand the 'pulling the rib cage down' part, I have a pretty good grasp on what moves whenI want it to, but this one is a little bit hard to interpret. I will however keep moving forward. thanks

 

Bret

FritsMB
Bret Kennedy said:

I will look into this further, and will drop the weight.

 

I will be doing week 5 this week, so I might throw up progress videos and form checks.

 

I dont' really understand the 'pulling the rib cage down' part, I have a pretty good grasp on what moves whenI want it to, but this one is a little bit hard to interpret. I will however keep moving forward. thanks

 

Bret

I think thecolin is talking about posterior pelvic tilt (ppt). This is easier envisioned when you are standing up or standing in a HS. When sitting down activate your abs and you will notice your ribcage moving (slightly) to your lower pelvic area. It cancels out your arching your back.  

 

I don't understand how you can bring your straight and upright arms back (to an angle that exceeds ninety degrees) without externally rotating the shoulders. Maybe it is just me misinterpreting that suggestion.

thecolin
Check out the pictures here: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13818-striving-to-achieve-the-perfect-handstand/#entry135538Can you see how in the picture with the straight line how her stomach is pulled in, and with the arched back picture how his stomach is sticking out? That's what I mean by pulling the ribs down. Sitting on the floor in a hunched over position, arching the back is less of an issue, so it's better to focus on the rotation of the rib cage relative to your arm position.
 
When you move onto the later elements with a straight body on the floor, you can start thinking about keeping your back flat on the ground while pulling your arms back.
 
The stretch you're talking about is useful as well, but it's developed through bridge work.

 

FritsMB said:

 

I don't understand how you can bring your straight and upright arms back (to an angle that exceeds ninety degrees) without externally rotating the shoulders. Maybe it is just me misinterpreting that suggestion.

 

This has caused a bit of confusion, but it has been confirmed by Coach that there should be no dislocation of the shoulder in this movement. You don't really need to move past the line of the body, the goal is to be able to hold your arms straight above your head without arching your back.

FritsMB

thecolin.

Thanks for the explanation.

Coach Sommer

Just keep in mind that the rotation of the shoulder and the flexion of the shoulder are two separate and distinct functions.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer