This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stiff legged windmill

Started by Alan Tseng, October 25, 2014 · 13 Replies · 740 Views

Alan Tseng
Bret Kennedy said:

 

Hello all.

 

so back in now 4 weeks, and I am feeling pretty good.

 

I have a few issues with hip mobility especially for the swivel hips, just working on some things to increase ROM for internal external rotations.

 

My questions relate to the title though. With the stiff legged windmill I am comfortably using 10kg for the movement, is this movement predominantly to increase the length of the hamstrings and extensor chain as a whole? looking at the video, mastery for this is your torso moving just below horizontal. Would that be accurate? I feel that the notes are just not enough to have a full understanding of the mastery part of this element.

 

 

 

thanks for any insights.

bret

 

 

 

Windmill does mobilize the extensor chain in the lower body, but more specifically, the medial hamstrings (semi-tendinosis/semi-membranosus) and adductors.  However personally I feel it the most on my glutes.  In the torso, it mobilizes more of the lateral chain.

 

Check out the PE1 follow-along assessment in the Introduction menu of the F1 courses, I personally feel the windmill version done there is better than the actual windmill video.

 

The question about handstand belongs on the the private Handstand 1 forums, since this is the forums for Foundation 1

Bret Kennedy

thanks for that... i realise now that the forums are separate. I figured when you logged in you had auto access, but it wasn't still separate.

 

thanks

Bret Kennedy

Ah thanks for that. Looking at it her feet at almost online with each other, and she is bending over the front leg, this looks a little different to me from the training video; also are key points to keep a lumbar lordosis? I feel by doing this you will be increasing the effect placed on the hamstring and lower extensor chain.

I love the program but I feel that the exercise explanations are not e enough to understand key points of the correct exercise.

Which I find a little frustrating...

Bret

Mike Kelly
Bret Kennedy said:

I love the program but I feel that the exercise explanations are not e enough to understand key points of the correct exercise.

Which I find a little frustrating...

Bret

 

 

+1

 

I was hoping for a more detailed video instructions.

Cole Dano
alan tseng said:

 

 

 

 

The question about handstand belongs on the the private Handstand 1 forums, since this is the forums for Foundation 1

 

This part of the question has been moved to the H1 forum :)

Sven Ravnstag
Mike Kelly said:

+1

 

I was hoping for a more detailed video instructions.

The nice thing about having a course in this format is that there is the potential for ongoing updates at no additional charge.  I wouldn't be surprised if, over time, the content delivery is significantly improved and perhaps some of the content itself revamped.

 

It's important to keep things in context, though.  Remember that there has to be a balance between serving current customers and spreading the word about GST in order to create the resources to keep improving the community.

 

Also, if you look at how ravenous people on the forums are about getting at the Stretch and Mobility Series (and how upset some get when their release is delayed), it's kind of hard to come down too harshly on the quality of the programs already released.  

 

To my knowledge there aren't many national-level coaches attempting to disseminate their knowledge to the masses, and because this is fairly new territory there are sure to be some learning experiences along the way.  Coaching athletes in person is different than coaching amateurs in person, and coaching amateurs via an online course is another thing entirely.  

 

Coach Sommer is the best (and to my knowledge, only) national level coach attempting something this ambitious.  When you're an early adopter there are bound to be some bugs to deal with.  The options are to keep sitting on the couch until they make prettier videos or put forth the extra effort to consult the forums to clear up any questions you have.  

 

That said, I must admit that I too have been irritated by doing something incorrectly for weeks before realizing my error, and it's temping to blame something other than ourselves when this happens.  Could the course have been more detailed?  Perhaps.  Could I have avoided the problem by spending more time researching the appropriate technique on the course forums?  Almost certainly.   

Mike Kelly

I just wanted to add that so far(1 week) my over opinion on the course is positive and I was just providing a little feedback on this point :)

Bret Kennedy

I understand this and totally agree. I myself have a video online program that is easy to update and evolve.

 

I think for me though, in what I have done in my specific program, is i have ensured that the 'key elements' for each exercise are described, either in the video while I was shooting it, or in a typed way.

 

I think that it would not be too hard to just add in some key points about the exercises that make it a little easier to identify what the video might be saying.

 

ie: stiff legged windmill only says 'keep legs locked, keep dumbell above your head"

 

To me though, there seem to be a lot more key points that would be input, to allow people to fully understand

 

ie: keep your lumbar curve to ensure the stretch through the hamstrings

your feet should be hip width apart? one foot faces forwards the other perpendicular. I say this because as mentioned in the earlier parts of the post, the assessment the girls legs look in a different position than in the training video.

 

So those are just my points, a few more details in type about key points on the exercises, so that there is a little less confusion, thats all

 

cheers guys

bret

Coach Sommer

Remember always that if there is a discrepancy between the assessment video and the course video, the course video is the correct standard to follow until the assessment video is corrected.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

BlueLion

I find this movement so difficult. As I approach the horizontal (with no weight) my obliques and hamstrings get so tight they hold me in place. I'll keep it going and hopefully I will loosen over the weeks. 

 

Enjoying the program. High quality product.

Matthew DellaFera

I find this movement very difficult too. 

 

I've been working on it for over 5 months, which feels like a while, but the progress is there.  I could hardly even go 1/5 of the way into the movement at first, and now I'd say I'm about halfway to mastery.  Keeping that in mind makes me feel great.  The rate of progress is relative to where you started, not what other people can do.

 

We will all get there eventually.  But if you start out hardly even being able to get into a position at all, and now you're halfway there, that's a tremendous improvement and something to feel very encouraged about. I thought there was no way in a million years I'd be able to do the stiff leg windmill, but I'm making progress.     

Sven Ravnstag

I've had good results lately by emphasizing weight on the planted leg.  I think of driving the leg into the ground like a telephone pole to prevent weight shifting to occur during the movement.  

 

I've also been sticking the tailbone out (APT) during the whole movement, attempting to maximize it at the bottom, and this has really helped with the flat back and shifting the stretch to the hamstrings.

Mike Kelly
BlueLion said:

I find this movement so difficult. 

 

You are not the only one  :)

 

For me this might be the hardest movement of all the PE1s.  I did 3x5r for the 3rd time yesterday and I can't believe how sore my sides are.   I am also wondering since it is an iM when should I increase the weight?  I have been using 5#s but in another month or two when I improve my strength and mobility - how should I approach loading this movement?

JDelage

I find this movement very hard too. One minute, I am not feeling challenged at all, and the next second I feel sharp pain in the adductors. It's very hard to dose for me.