training surface for living room

Started by spyro7800, October 25, 2014 · 9 Replies · 3,020 Views

spyro7800

Hey guys,

 

I am training at home..and my floor is really slippery and hard.

 

It looks like this: post-3146-0-15597000-1414256385_thumb.jp

 

 

I want to buy something that is not slippery and is easy to set up and then hide after training as I train in my living room.

 

What would you suggest?

 

I am thinking about tatami for MMA...it would be easy to buy 4 of them and have space 2m2. I am not sure how slippery are they.

 

post-3146-0-36699100-1414256329_thumb.jp

Daniel Burnham

Yoga mat?

chuchodani

Tatami sounds like a good option, I would recommend you to workout in a non slippery surface because yesterday I just had an accident doing some shoulder taps in a Stomach to wall HS in consequence of sweaty hands, a slippery surface and lack of chalk.

spyro7800

i cant find large enough yoga mat :/ I also want something that won't move when I push it with my legs during rows ..not sure if yoga mat can handle it

strme

i have tatami 2,5cm. 4m2  its good but in your case it will migrate on your floor anyway. good option its have this mat in corner or use some antisllipery mat under. they use it in cars for phone. do you know what i mean?

Daniel Burnham

I used a yoga mat with anti slip on polished concrete for years. You could also get a roll of rubber horse mats but that would look bad. I would personally probably get a rug and place a rug stay underneath. These are anti slip mats similar to ones you out in drawers to keep the silver wear holders from slipping or plates from sliding around.

brntj

I'm also picky about surface since I've done most of my handstand training on carpet or concrete.

Two additional options for your consideration:

1. "The Big Mat" from Lululemon.com. http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/men-yoga-mats-and-props/The-Big-Mat?cc=13230&skuId=3546524&catId=men-yoga-mats-and-props. This thing is a massive, larger than standard mat that also felt much more grippy than the Target yoga mat I use for non-handstand work. I used one for a yoga seminar near here and liked it, don't own one but only because I don't need a new mat right this second.

2. "Outside/Inside Area Rug" from Home Depot/Menards. Comes rolled up and is 6' x 8' and feels grippy and similar to astroturf, and is thin enough to have a good solid minimally-cushioned surface on which to balance. I haven't laid mine out just yet. Looking at the back, I don't know how slip resistant it will be on a hardwood floor. A small piece cut to yoga mat size might slip, a bigger size probably not. These things are pretty cheap so I'd get one and see what you think before going with more expensive options.

Xcel

I'm a huge fan of the Zebra Rollout Home mats for MMA.  They come in 5'x10' sections are typically 1.25" thick but can vary.  I've been using 2 of them for grappling at home (although that rarely happens these days) and my GST training.  They work great and when I'm done I roll them up and stick them in a corner or a closet.  

 

http://www.zebramats.com/catalog/zebra-home-mats

spyro7800

Amazing.. thank you all for suggestions.

 

I will probably go with zebra mat..it looks really convenient :)

William Str

I have a 6x6' yoga mat from http://www.square36.com/ . Couldn't be more happy with it!