This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated Planche lean vs Planche lean

Started by Mark Collins, October 23, 2014 · 25 Replies · 1,215 Views

Mark Collins

I just did my my first session of elevated Planche leans after mastering Planche leans. It was interesting to feel the difference. I felt it more in the anterior shoulder and lower abs. I could do 18, 18, 16 and 12 seconds so there was an obvious transfer from Planche leans. I am interested to hear what others have found when doing the elevated Planche leans.

I am starting to really enjoy the sPL series as it feels like it is developing strength in areas I didn't know was weak. When I started Foundation I was least interested in sPL series, but now I can see why everyone wants to be able to do it.

JN12

At what lean could you do these numbers? 

 

I've been gradually increasing my lean with elevated leans, took quite some time but now i'm almost there  :)

I found that depression is really key here, otherwise I just can't hold protraction for the whole time.

 

I also enjoy the sPL series a lot, it's just badass!

Krel

Doing sPL series is great to understand to active properly serratus anterior and lower trapezius in order to have a strong protraction. When I began, I was doing it incorrectly (using upper trapezius and winged scapula). Now - with a good form - I'm having great benefits on the elbow :)

thecolin

I had started on elevated leans but it messed with my form so I went back to the floor. What I mostly felt was an uncontrollable urge to pike! I'm glad I did because I think my form is much better now. Now I'm back working on elevated leans.

 

How high are you raising your feet? I've found that the more I lean, the lower my feet need to be to keep my body level.

Ravn

PPT is super important for elevated PL leans; You can kinda/sorta get away with it in the regular leans, but the elevated leans will make it painfully obvious if you're PPT'ing suficiently. Amazing what a difference it makes just raising the leg support.

Adriano Augusto

Good point there Ravn.

 

What I've found is that with Elevated PL I don't have the same lean as in the floor, so of course it is a strenght related issue that I'm adressing little by little because earlier this summer I injured my wrist so I go slow with these leans.

 

Even thought, if normal planche leans were gold, these will be diamond in terms on proper scapular activation and strengh of scapula and wrists, besides body tension and all.

 

This is one of the things that comes to my mind when I read people posting on F2 forum asking why they can't just lift their feet off the ground on tuck planches or don't have wrist mobility/strenght to hold advance frog stand... inadequate quality of mastery standards of previous progressions on sPL elements. Build the foundation first!!!!!!!

thecolin

That's interesting, I've never noticed a problem with my hip rotation with elevated leans. When I first tried them, my problem was that I found that the rounding moved mostly to my mid back, and the challenge was getting strong protraction and depression in the upper back. I instinctively tried to pike to lessen the load on my shoulders.

Alan Tseng

Since we're on the topic of planche leans. Whenever I depress my scapula it always feels very strange? What does "proper" scapula depression feels like?

By the way, what is the order of operation in a Planche lean? Protract, depress, then PPT? Or what order is it?

thecolin

If I start to loose depression it usually feels like my traps are bunching up and my head sinks forward. Try standing up and pulling your shoulders towards the ground and lifting your head up high, that's sort of what it feels like to me.

Alan Tseng

The thing is if I depress first then protract, it feels completely different than protract then depress.

Spphysio

I think Depressing while hanging on a Pull up bar will really help you learn exactly how depression would feel like...

Mark Collins
JN12 said:

At what lean could you do these numbers?

 

I also enjoy the sPL series a lot, it's just badass!

5x30 secs. I spent 12 months getting the Planche lean, which helped get higher numbers on the elevated lean.

Ravn said:

PPT is super important for elevated PL leans; You can kinda/sorta get away with it in the regular leans, but the elevated leans will make it painfully obvious if you're PPT'ing suficiently. Amazing what a difference it makes just raising the leg support.

Thanks Ravn, I think this is the big difference for me. I could really feel my lower abs firing as I did PPT. I had a terrible PPT before Foundation so I think the elevated lean has highlighted this.

Mark Collins
Adriano Augusto said:

Good point there Ravn.

 

What I've found is that with Elevated PL I don't have the same lean as in the floor, so of course it is a strenght related issue that I'm adressing little by little because earlier this summer I injured my wrist so I go slow with these leans.

 

Even thought, if normal planche leans were gold, these will be diamond in terms on proper scapular activation and strengh of scapula and wrists, besides body tension and all.

 

This is one of the things that comes to my mind when I read people posting on F2 forum asking why they can't just lift their feet off the ground on tuck planches or don't have wrist mobility/strenght to hold advance frog stand... inadequate quality of mastery standards of previous progressions on sPL elements. Build the foundation first!!!!!!!

We may need to give you the name Adriano "Planche" Augusto!

B1214N
alan tseng said:

By the way, what is the order of operation in a Planche lean? Protract, depress, then PPT? Or what order is it?

 

There is no order. They should be done all at the same time. If you can't do that then you have to figure out which order will be easier for you and once you become proficient, there should be no order.

Alan Tseng
B1214N said:

There is no order. They should be done all at the same time. If you can't do that then you have to figure out which order will be easier for you and once you become proficient, there should be no order.

There will always be one no matter how good you are at something, what separates the very best from someone starting out is that they are able to subconsciously turn each muscle on faster in micro-seconds since their central nervous system is much more fine-tuned. 

 

I ask because when I tried to figure it out myself, I get drastically different sensations in each one.  I don't know enough to know which sensation is the right sensation

thecolin
alan tseng said:

 

I ask because when I tried to figure it out myself, I get drastically different sensations in each one.  I don't know enough to know which sensation is the right sensation

 

I don't know if there is an objectively better way, I but I understand what you mean when you say you feel a difference. It feels to me like when I focus on depression and then protract I get a more stable lean with better form.

JN12

 

 

5x30 secs. I spent 12 months getting the Planche lean, which helped get higher numbers on the elevated lean.

 

I meant, how far could you lean with the feet elevated? Because if you are with hands at hip level and can reach those numbers on the first try that is impressive!

Rayne-William
alan tseng said:

There will always be one no matter how good you are at something, what separates the very best from someone starting out is that they are able to subconsciously turn each muscle on faster in micro-seconds since their central nervous system is much more fine-tuned. 

 

I ask because when I tried to figure it out myself, I get drastically different sensations in each one.  I don't know enough to know which sensation is the right sensation

There is no set order. If you need an order feel free to make up one for yourself. Getting into the correct overall body position should be like breathing air or walking.

Mark Collins
JN12 said:

I meant, how far could you lean with the feet elevated? Because if you are with hands at hip level and can reach those numbers on the first try that is impressive!

Full ROM. I always find that when I spend along time on one exercise the next few are mastered more quickly.

emilianop

I've had the same experience, started elevated with sets of 6 seconds and didn't feel much, had to go at timings similar to yours in order to make it really challenging. I've spent almost a year around planche lean and the funny thing is that now that I'm on elevated ones I feel I should practice PL as well alongside, as if I'm missing something by not doing it.

 

Full ROM. I always find that when I spend along time on one exercise the next few are mastered more quickly.

Yep, it was the same for me with MN/PE6->PE7

B1214N
Mark Collins said:

Full ROM. I always find that when I spend along time on one exercise the next few are mastered more quickly.

Sorry to confuse you, but I highly doubt you were doing the full lean/ROM since that will be almost as hard as a full planche. Planche leans in the Foundation series are more basic and not the full thing since it is beginner level (especially F1) and for foundation purposes. Just wanted to make this clear. :)  

Mark Collins

I did measure from my pelvis to the wall, made a mark on the floor and then I touch my hair on the wall. I did this for Planche leans so my measurement is consistent. The elevated leans were still harder as I could not do the 5x30 secs as I can with Planche leans.

I am sure at the seminar this weekend Coach will find many faults. :)

B1214N

When you say your hands are at hips level, do you mean the wrists or somewhere more towards the fingers since those few inches makes a big difference in difficulty. I believe the F1 planche leans are meant for the wrists (hands facing forward) to be under the hips for both regular and elevated instead of higher up in the hands since it is much easier. The latter is closer to the full planche and would be inappropriate for the Foundation courses.

 

I wasn't trying to say that your planche leans were at fault. I was just trying to say that the planche leans in Foundation are not the full lean and aren't meant to be so there is probably nothing for you to worry about for your F1 planche leans.

Mark Collins
B1214N said:

 

I wasn't trying to say that your planche leans were at fault. I was just trying to say that the planche leans in Foundation are not the full lean and aren't meant to be so there is probably nothing for you to worry about for your F1 planche leans.

Now I get what you were saying. The full ROM I was referring to was just for Planche leans in F1 not the full ROM for a Planche.

Roddy Cardona Valderrama

So just to get this straight for a regular planche lean are hands supposed to be at hip level for 5x30 before you can progress to elevated planche leans