Recommended books

Started by stagmer, October 23, 2014 · 5 Replies · 3,919 Views

stagmer

Hey everyone what are some recommended books you all suggest reading as far as strength training?

MT Nordic

Most strength books are not full of a lot of information.  Mostly good for inspiration, but not really applicable to the general population, except perhaps if you're more interested in powerlifting or O lifting, for which there are numerous good books.

 

I do like Pavel's work, though it is limited in scope.  Easy strength is a good one, combined authorship by pavel and dan john, esp if interested in application of strength towards athletics, as opposed to for its own sake.

 

I found Antifragile, by Nassim Taleb to be fantastic, and while not directly related to strength training has a lot of applicability. 

 

Strength Training Anatomy is good for reference, as is the Anatomy of Movement. 

TANSTAAFL

Here.

 

After a few years ask again ;).

Alan Tseng

These are the currently books I'm reading:

 

Ultimate MMA Conditioning by Joel Jamieson - amazing, amazing book about conditioning and how exactly to train each of the 3 energy systems and what exactly the effects of heart rate is.  Loved the book so much that I decided to buy a heart rate monitor (He trains MMA fighters but it's applicable to any sports.)  First learnt about him when he happened to do a talk alongside Coach Sommer (and among others) in PaleoFX 2014.

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007THMNXY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0BATNJWD64MQR1GC1HBK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

 

Heart Rate Training by Roy Benson and Declan Connolly - started reading it alongside Ultimate MMA Conditioning after I got interested in learning about heart rate

 

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Rate-Training-Roy-Benson-ebook/dp/B005JY32CK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414121085&sr=1-1&keywords=Heart+Rate+Training

 

The Portable Greg Everett: Collected Articles 2005-2012 by Greg Everett - Greg Everett (Olympic weightlifting coach) made a book about the best essays he's put up, though temporarily pausing this book to finish the first two books.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Greg-Everett-Collected-2005-2012-ebook/dp/B007MDFEWC/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414121188&sr=1-4&keywords=greg+everett

 

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers by Robert Sapolsky - probably the definitive book on anything stress related, though reading this book slowly since I find it a bit dry for me.  Might be on this one for a long time

 

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Zebras-Dont-Ulcers-Stress-Related-ebook/dp/B0037NX018/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414121288&sr=1-1&keywords=why+zebras+don%27t+get+ulcers

George Launchbury
alan tseng said:

 

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers by Robert Sapolsky - probably the definitive book on anything stress related, though reading this book slowly since I find it a bit dry for me.  Might be on this one for a long time

 

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Zebras-Dont-Ulcers-Stress-Related-ebook/dp/B0037NX018/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414121288&sr=1-1&keywords=why+zebras+don%27t+get+ulcers

 

 

An interesting comment about the slow going - I read (most of) The Chimp Paradox (by Dr Steve Peters) a few years ago, and found it very interesting conceptually, but very hard going and difficult to follow. I got the same book on a free Audible trial recently, mainly because I'd lost the hard copy, and it was free. Much to my surprise I found it much easier to understand, follow, and digest listening to it during my commute.

 

It's billed as the mind program that he used while resident psychiatrist with British Cycling/Team Sky. The blurb is:

 

The Chimp Paradox contains an incredibly powerful mind management model that can help you be happier and healthier, increase your confidence, and become a more successful person. This book will help you to:

— Recognize how your mind is working

— Understand and manage your emotions and thoughts

— Manage yourself and become the person you would like to be

 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Chimp-Paradox-Management-Confidence/dp/039916359X/

 

Personally I have known for years exactly what I needed to do to improve my strength and mobility, using Coach Sommer's and Kit's work. I know what works for me nutritionally. I don't need to know more about programming, exercises, tricks or 'secret' information to get there quicker. What I have always lacked is the ability to consistently apply myself to these things over time. Short term focus, I'm like a laser. Long term ...look, baby wolves!

 

It's especially frustrating when you trust the program 100%, and you know that you are the problem for not sticking to it. I mean, how hard can it be to follow a simple exercise program that's laid out for you, or control what you put in your mouth!? The number of 'aha' moments I have had in the last couple of weeks have been very reassuring. Not least managing my kids when they kick off, and dealing with inconsiderate road users.

 

Plus - If it's good enough for Sir Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins and Vicky Pendleton - then it's good enough for me! Those guys had to consistently work their socks off 24/7 for years.

 

Edit: This would also be very useful for those (of us) who want to do too much, or move on too soon.