This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson curl for pancake

Started by Vikas Agartha, October 23, 2014 · 4 Replies · 282 Views

Vikas Agartha

Would it be beneficial to do a Jefferson curl type movement with a kettlebell with legs spread reasonably apart for someone with poor straddle mobility? Trying to find a way to do some weighted pancake stretching. I thought of sitting with legs spread and using a barbell on the back, but I can barely hinge in that position.

Jeremy Huston

MN/PE1>iM is a good place to start.  Straddle Jefferson Curls are good, but just holding the bottom position would probably be better for the straddle portion.

 

This stretch is my personal favorite, but it doesn't sound like you're able to start yet.  Notice, that's only 5kg on the PVC -- and 1 kg would be sufficient to start.  You could do this from standing, or sit your bottom on a bench of some kind.  Get into a position where your straight back can make about a 45 degree with the floor and progress with that until your torso is horizontal with the floor.  Then start over with your bottom a little lower.

 

I have found my back stays much straighter when I hold the weight like this than when I just lean forward or hang.

1016826_898718683485166_3697377386589384

strme

i doing this without weight with very good results. i just use my arms. have them behind head or straight over head. if i will be at point when i cant move more, i will use weight.

Helander

My problem is that my middle back is not bending at all when doing pancakes or jeffersons. Any advice on forcing my middle back to do it's share of the movement?

I try to rip the collagen apart by focusing on retracing my scapula when doing the moves, because otherwise I will just get a huge (I mean huge) bend from my upper back, and the middle back just stays straight.

Jeremy Huston

Middle and upper back should stay straight in a pancake.  Lower back will need to bend some, but mostly it's a hip movement.

 

For JC's, post a video.  There's only so much bending you can do when your ribs get in the way.