This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How long do you rest between elements?

Started by Fabio Genesoni, October 22, 2014 · 14 Replies · 397 Views

Fabio Genesoni

Hi everybody,

I have done a little research on the topic "rest between elements", but I found nothing specific. The general recommendation seems to be, rest as little as possible.

Although the message is clear, I am curious to hear what you do in your training sessions. How long do you rest between elements? Is it always the same? Do you try to reduce it? etc..

 

Thanks.

korija

I dont rest. If i did, the workout would be MUCH easier

BeanLion

I get everything set up before I start and then plough through it. Just having a couple of sips of drink between elements.

Murray Truelove

The IM's are your rest. I generally set up my equipment as I go which gives me a little longer sometimes.

Iguanus

Oh. I usually rest a minute or two (setting equipments or câmera). Didn't realize one shouldn't take a break between elements. I think it was said in the very beginning that one shouldn't rest between sets of the same elements, but a few breaths and sips was ok in between elements.

TANSTAAFL
Iguanus said:

Oh. I usually rest a minute or two (setting equipments or câmera). Didn't realize one shouldn't take a break between elements. I think it was said in the very beginning that one shouldn't rest between sets of the same elements, but a few breaths and sips was ok in between elements.

If you're talking about the different PE's, then yes, rest is ok AFAIK. Not between PE and joined iM. I usually rest about 3-5 minutes between different PE's depending on the day. I could be wrong.

 

Making that rest minimal will rock up the work capacity, but once in the harder PE's(i.e. 5r)  I would think you'd need the 3-5 min just for the ATP regeneration.

Jeremy Huston

I work out in a public gym, so I have to set up as I go.  I've never timed it, but it's probably a couple minutes on average between exercises.  But once the exercise starts, I plow through PE & IM with no rest.

Javier

No rest. Sometimes a very brief one between some PE's such as scap shrugs and push ups. I don't have time in the morning to rest anyway. I set everything in advance and plough through the work out. 

Adriano Augusto

With some PE's/iM's I've to rest for the sake of performance, but because they're very demanding, although in each training session I push harder. Is a rest count second per second and with time I will reduce it until no rest is needed.

 

Between elements due to the setup (I train in a public gym too), 3-4 minutes are fine. Even thought, I remember Coach says: "If you're fully relaxed before start the next element, you've rested too much."

 

The key here is work capacity. By the time we are at F4 and beyond, we were doing F7 and all exercises for warm up with their respective im's. So, better we prepare now building that capacity to later on be able to actually do a proper Gymnastics Strenght Training, for example the old WOD's. 

 

And... Hungarian, I see you :D (I'm sure Hungarian will related to this)

vinca_minor

Long enough to scratch some notes in my logbook and maybe get a sip of water.

Fabio Genesoni

Thank you all for your answers.

Now that I know what you do I feel more confident.

So the point is: less or no rest between elements is good to build work capacity, but for the sake of performance or setting equipment a few minutes of rest are acceptable, but do not rest until you are completely relaxed.

No rest between elements and iMs sets.

I will go with this..thanks.

Alexander Egebak

One minute rest for me after mastered PE week. I take a sip of water and prepare equipment. The more rest you take, the less work capacity you get. Coach said an F1 split workout should take around 20 minutes, now how could you do that with too much rest time?

Fede HD

How could it be 20 mins? In a F(4) splits would be 5' per element + warm up! And sometimes elements take longer than 5' themselves..

Alexander Egebak
Fede HD said:

How could it be 20 mins? In a F(4) splits would be 5' per element + warm up! And sometimes elements take longer than 5' themselves..

He said the average time an F1 workout should take is about 20 minutes. I just refer what he stated. Sometimes more, sometimes less of course.

Javier

Just focus on the form and proper cadence, no rest between PE and im and minimize rest as much as you can between elements. It will take the time it will take. Although I doubt it will be 20 mn with warm up and cool down, unless you are in the first weeks of Foundation.