This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Head Stand Safety With Cervical Stenosis

Started by Nick Jones, October 21, 2014 · 1 Replies · 109 Views

Nick Jones

Help needed.

 

This is my first post.

 

I have just purchased Handstand one (actually a birthday present from my lovely wife). I have been trying to do handstands against the wall and thought I needed expert help.

 

I have cervical stenosis at c5/6 c6/7 and have taken years of trial and error to rehab it, however the damage still exists even if though the pain has pretty much gone. I can do most things Oly lifts, pull ups, rope climb swimming etc. I have even taught my self to walk on my hands with control for 2 meters.

 

I believe, however, that standing on my head will be dangerous. My question is should i just go to the exercises after HS/PE3 or are there alternatives?

 

Any advice much appreciated.

 

On a side note I am also 6 weeks into Foundations One. It is fantastic, actually the core and posture improvements have really improved my neck issues. Amazing

Sven Ravnstag

Speaking from a clinical perspective, axial compression such as that which occurs in headstand variation isn't advisable for someone with your history.

The purpose of these drills (as far as I understand) is to develop proper body alignment in the handstand position while eliminating the strength and shoulder flexibility requirements of a full handstand.

In situations such as this I think there needs to be balance between the purpose of the movements and the individual's history. If you skip the headstand elements you'll have to be extra fastidious at developing the skill to maintain the body alignment elements they are meant to develop.

Don't be discouraged, listen to your body, and do your bed to get the benefits of the movements without undue risk.

That said, properly performed headstand involve minimal compressive force on the head/cervical spine, but you probably have a better idea about your limitations than anyone else.