This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Self spotting for HS alignment.

Started by Sisyphus, October 21, 2014 · 11 Replies · 338 Views

Sisyphus

I don't know if anyone is interested, but just in case someone is - I've been making good use of an app called IP Webcam

 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en. 

 

Basically it turns my phone into a webcam and streams the feed to my tablet so that instead of filming myself and watching the clip back to spot any adjustments needed in my bodyline I can do it in real time. 

 

Its been quite useful to get that third party view for quite a few of the F-series progressions too but the most value to me so far has been during PE9.

gohei_

That's pretty cool. I've been using my phone camera as a mirror for this but your way is much better. Shame I only have stationary pc.

Sisyphus

It was struggling with mirrors that inspired me! You can use a second phone to view the feed as well if need be - anything with a relatively recent web browser will do.

Rahul

wow , i am going to try this .

k123

Oh awesome, what a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Works just like you described. Certainly beats me trying to check my form by looking at my phone while it's recording.

dgaetano

I've been using a TV with an Apple TV box to stream cartoons while working out (don't judge).

 

After a while I realized I could mirror my phone to the TV this way and use it to check my form in real time.

 

I've also been known to mirror a timer to the TV so I can watch it (when there was no place for me to place the phone so it was visible, HS/PE3 for example).

 

I'm sure the same thing can be achieved with Andriod phones and Chromcast.

 

Of course mirrors work too, but if you've already got the tech lying around...

Rayne-William

A mental check list combined with my physical senses works fine for me.

Sisyphus
Rayne-William said:

A mental check list combined with my physical senses works fine for me.

 

That's exactly what I do - I use my 'physical senses' to look at a screen and cross reference what I see with my 'mental check list'.  :D

 

Or perhaps you mean that you never check your form because you are just so thoroughly proprioceptively aware that your don't need to?

 

Either way - thanks for the input.  :huh:

Rayne-William
Sisyphus said:

 

Or perhaps you mean that you never check your form because you are just so thoroughly proprioceptively aware that your don't need to?

 

Either way - thanks for the input.  :huh:

Yes, I have developed high sense of proprioception. 

 

Years of aggressive in-line skating combined with competitive spring board diving forced me to become more aware of how I held my body while in the air, on the ground, or sliding down and balancing a rail that is about 1 inch (2.54cm) wide.

 

Use what works for you. Technology can be awesome. However heavy reliance on it can be dibilitating.

Sisyphus
Rayne-William said:

 However heavy reliance on it can be dibilitating.

 

Agreed. It's certainly too much of a distraction to use in a free HS but I find it helps keep me honest against the wall. As you say - whatever works!

emilianop

That's great, thanks Sisyphus.

 

My self-spotting device for wall HS is my t-shirt.

When I can open shoulders as much as possible and full elevate, it just slides down and falls onto the back of my neck, otherwise it stays somewhere around my shoulders area... and then I know form is bad. :)

Bro'

Thanks for that, I started using this so I can correct my planche leans form on the go rather than after all my sets are done. More productive this way!