This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

GB and pregnancy

Started by Kara Beutel, October 21, 2014 · 14 Replies · 337 Views

Kara Beutel

So I'm willing to bet this isn't exactly something Coach has encountered with his male athletes, but I'm wondering about the thoughts on continuing to do this program while pregnant... I just found out that I am (yay!) and while I currently feel totally fine and I can see many exercises being fine throughout, I also know that there is high likelihood of feeling super crappy soon enough, being really tired and not up to the pace of these workouts, and there are certainly some exercises that probably shouldn't be done later on. So, thoughts? My current idea is to keep most of the exercises/progressions that I've mastered or am working on, while modifying or substituting others. I also figure I may not follow the actual template for sets/reps, depending on how I end up feeling. I realize getting Coach himself to comment on a thread is hard because he's so busy, but his thoughts would definitely be appreciated! :)

Thanks all!

KibboKift

I'm certainly not qualified to give you advice, but congratulations! :)

Eric Baum

Congratulations! =]

Jennifer

Congratulations, hon!   Is this your first?  

Kara Beutel

Thanks everyone! It still doesn't feel real yet! And yes, it'll be our first :) We haven't even told our parents yet, so you all know before they do! :)

korija

gz & i'd say dont do handstands or anything that what might drop you on your stomach 

Jeremy Huston

Congratulations!!!

 

Exercise in general helps to combat some of the nausea in pregnancy, and your plan sounds reasonable.  I've heard that being pregnant is as taxing on your body as running a marathon every day.  So just be mindful to get enough rest, food, and recovery.  It might be a good period to spend extra time on flexibility and mobility when other elements are physically impossible.

thecolin

Congratulations! I think this might be a 'don't do anything without talking to a doctor' kind of situation. Instinctively, I'd avoid intense isometric contractions and excessive spinal bending. But I'm totally pulling that advice out of my ass, so go talk to your doctor. :)

 

I'd generally err on the side of caution, though not everyone agrees with that approach.  :facepalm:

 

edit: videos don't seem to be showing up

 

Sven Ravnstag

It's a real shame to subject a human being to kipping muscles-ups before they even have the chance to know better.

 

I'd venture to say that a real muscle-up would be a lot safer for both the mother and the as yet unborn.

mark

Kara,

 

Congratulations!  That's way exciting.  My wife is a doula, in fact she just got back from teaching a class on pregnancy and birth tonight.  She's exercised through all her pregnancies (4) including running up until a week before delivery.  She does some elements of Foundation, but really likes doing assisted dips and other stuff on rings.

 

Obviously talk with your birth provider, but you should pick her brain.  She'd be happy to talk to you.

Kara Beutel

That would be awesome Mark, thanks! PM me her email if you don't mind :)

 

Totally not sure where that muscle up comment came from, Svan, but it made me giggle none the less. 

Rayne-William

Congratulations!

 

As you are right now, keep doing what you normally would do. When your baby bump develops more you may need to modify range of motion. Continuing to do exercise will later help you lose any weight you might gain, while pregnant.

 

Also eat as you would normally through out the entire pregnancy. Your body will make sure the baby gets all of the nutrients it needs.

 

Enjoy the way your skin looks and feels and the faster hair growth rate.

Sven Ravnstag
Kara Beutel said:

That would be awesome Mark, thanks! PM me her email if you don't mind :)

 

Totally not sure where that muscle up comment came from, Svan, but it made me giggle none the less. 

I was talking about the crazy acrobatics in the video thecolin posted.  That kind of thing seems like an invitation to injury regardless of who was doing it.  And even worse, that lady's baby is going to be born thinking that that is what a muscle up is.

 

 I expect that the GST you'd likely be doing would be much safer, both in general and during pregnancy. 

Kara Beutel

Ahh, the video doesn't show up for me, so that must be why it made no sense :)

Sven Ravnstag

I appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt, but in the interests of full disclosure I ought to go ahead and acknowledge that I actually only make more than no sense about 48% of the time.