This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question on Arch Body Hold Progression

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), October 21, 2014 · 1 Replies · 119 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Hi Everyone,

 

Is it better to progress through the ABH in terms of time, even if my ROM is lacking, and then once I hit 5x60s, go back to lesser times but with better ROM?

 

Or is it best to stay at lower hold times (say 12s or 24s)  and work until my ROM is sufficient, and THEN increase time?

 

Right now I can do 4x36s fairly easily with mediocre ROM.

 

Thoughts?

 

Thanks very much

 

Cam

Sensei JP

With every exercise where form has been an issue (so for me, deck squats, ABH, twisting squats and straddle ups), repeating the first month of programming has given me the greatest increases.  I remember thinking, 'Gee, 12sec of ABH?  How will that ever add up?'  And then two months later I was in a small yoga class and discovered I had the best ABH in the room.  It really adds up.  You just have to make sure those are the best, highest quality 12-24sec you can.

 

Also, for ABH in particular, I've found that lying on a physio ball has helped greatly.  It's a nice stretch, it feels great, and if you actively engage your muscles, it mimics the ABH but with less intensity and in a different way.  Worth a shot.