This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

GST and golf

Started by CH Van Lingen, October 19, 2014 · 3 Replies · 189 Views

CH Van Lingen

I am a very keen golfer. I am now 37 and struggle with constant small injuries. Golf is a strenuous game on your body. I have been following a Titleist excercise program that has greatly reduced injury and improved my mobility for golf.

Problem is this is not really strength focussed and I have always been a very fit and strong person.

I wanted to get your opinion on GST for golf? My thought is that now that my mobility is great improved through the Titleist program, I can use GST to keep improving mobility, flexibilty but I can also add strength.

Thoughts and feedback from other golfers and training experts will be appreciated.

I started Foundation 1 and I really like the movement and strength combination in training.

Mark Collins

I have used Foundation exercises with a Cricket athlete. He is a fast bowler who suffered with back pain every time he bowled. Fast bowlers need a lot of rotational stability and power like golfers. I started him on the rotational exercises in the F2 SL series. I got him to do SL/PE8 with bent legs and then progressed to straight legs. Although this was before the recommended schedule I was treating him as a patient, so I monitored him closely. After 4-6 months he can now bowl with no pain and feels his back is stronger than ever.

You will definetely improve your Golf with Foundation and H1. But when you improve out of sight will you share your secret with other golfers! I would look at the rotational stretches in the HBP series to start mobilising the thoracic spine.

CH Van Lingen

Thanks Mark. That is great feedback. I looked at the iM for HBP and they dont seem very intense on the thoracic spine, am I missing something? I have pass PE1 for all the F1 (except RC which I am still building facilities for at home). HBP iM's pretty much look like simple movements and I have dont a lot more complex stuff on the Titlesit program.

 

Can you tell me which iM's in particular you are thinking of?

 

Lastly, is it a good or bad thing to tell my golfing buddies my secret if I improve?

Mark Collins

The exercises that will help with thoracic rotation are from iM9 onwards.