A manna variation

Started by Tomas Johansson, July 1, 2009 · 2 Replies · 2,729 Views

Tomas Johansson

Is it a bad idea do a manna progression that is like the horizontal middle split hold but to instead stay in a tuck? I feel I can lean back more and get much more tension in the triceps in this position. Maybe because I'm not flexible enough for a wide straddle.

David Picó García

I don't really know, but i think coach said that the key of the manna is not to lean back, but push forward.

Joshua Naterman

If you're trying to build tricep support strength, sure. That's how I had to build up. I can now do the horizontal middle split after four and a half months of work, so keep at it! You will build it. But if you can hold the horizontal position, then that tuck won't be helping you. Once you can hold the middle split, it will work your triceps even more. If you are trying to build the press from being in the horizontal split to the more vertical manna position, then you're going to need to work on active shoulder flexibility with the German hangs and similar floor stretches. Can't press to it if you can't stretch to it! :P Enjoy your training!